Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: December 9

    1848

    The Ladies Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church of this village will hold a fair for the sale of useful and fancy articles at the Benton House.

    1881

    The Catholic bell now rings every morning at half past six, at noon and at 6:30 in the evening. It is a much pleasanter way of announcing the time than by the screams of the mill whistles every one of which is blown at a different time.

    1898

    For the past several weeks, Professor Sugarman , a practicing eye specialist in Little Falls, has been amazing local residents by taking daily plunges in the icy Mohawk River. He is a firm believer and advocate of the curative powers of cold water. The colder the atmosphere the more he seems to enjoy the bath.

    1916

    Henry Hondorf, of Jersey City, foreman of the structural iron workers building the new City Hall, died as a result of a fall from the top of the structure.

    2005

    Artist Stephen “Pitt” Nicholas has created a 34- foot mural on the west side of the 1855 stone building housing the Little Falls Antique Center. Nicholas’ piece relates the river and time to the historical area.

  • This day in history: December 10

    1872

    The officers chosen for the coming year for the Young People’s Christian Association include: D. H. Burrell (President), Titus Sheard and T. M. Chapman (Vice Presidents), R. S. Whitman (Treasurer), Warren Griswold ( Secretary), and M. H. Smith (Librarian.)

    1897

    Jacob Brown has a force of twenty-six men engaged in quarrying stone in the J.H. Smith quarry on Burwell Street. He expects to have 40 quarrymen at work, and twenty teams drawing the stone, which are to be used in the canal enlargement.

    1910

    The Utica Gas & Electric Company is building a new power house on West Mill Street at the foot of 5th Street. An injunction has been granted to prohibit the company from getting water to turn the three turbine wheels. The company expects to surmount the legal barrier and obtain the water rights.

    1923

    The local Americanization program was discussed at a meeting of the Exchange Club. It was reported that there were 3,538 foreign born persons residing in Little Falls – 879 Poles, 605 Italians, 541 Bohemians, 279 Slovaks, 205 Germans, and 108 Russians (probably Ukrainians.)

News and Updates

The first meeting and presentation of the Little Falls Historical Society for the 2019 season will take place on Tuesday March 26 at 7:00 PM at the WCA located at 534 Garden Street. The presenter is  Historical Society member Mike Potter who will display and provide narration for old photos of Little Falls streets and […]

Patriots Day Little Falls Historical Society Museum Little Falls NY

Patriots Day 2019 Saturday May 18 11:00 AM Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Patriots Day is celebrated each year in most of New England to commemorate the April 15, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord which marked the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The first Patriots Day was declared in 1894. In 1938 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts […]

Church Street Cemetery Vault | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Church St. Cemetery [officially] opened in 1842. A 15-acre lot was purchased by the village from Mr. Ward. At the time, the cemetery was located outside the village with very few homes in close proximity. A wagon road entered the cemetery from Church St., and another rose diagonally from Monroe St. Originally, the southern arm […]

Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls NY

Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]

Little Falls Historical Society Museum bg

The Little Falls Historical Society Museum 2018 Annual Report is available for download.