Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: April 15

    1915

    Workman began tearing down the Wheeler – Harding block at the northeast corner of Main and Ann streets to make way for the new Burrell building.

  • This day in history: April 16

    1847

    At the MacKinster Hotel, Little Falls citizens celebrated the triumph of the Americans in the Mexican War. Decoration and illumination were done in good taste, and addresses were made by George H. Feeter and George W. Smith.

    1901

    Hon. George A. Hardin, of Little Falls, one of the foremost jurists in New York State for 28 years, and one of the grand old men of central New York, died today. He also was District Attorney of Herkimer County and in 1893 he edited a “History of Herkimer County, New York.”

    1907

    The business community felt the lack of good hotel accommodations handicapped the industrial growth of Little Falls. A stock company was formed, and after considering three locations, the members voted 324 to 49  to purchase and raze the Allerton, and construct a new modern hotel – the Richmond.

    1955

    Doctors in Little Falls do not yet have any of the Salk vaccine, nor do they know when it will be available or how much they will be able to obtain. They expect to be governed by a system of priorities even when the vaccine is obtainable.

    1975

    A Thursday only, gas special at the Little Falls Texaco station was posted at 46.9 cents per gallon.

  • This day in history: April 17

    1858

    The Little Falls newspaper, the “Mohawk Courier”, in an extra edition, wrote “Glad Tidings, the United States and England have exchanged greetings, through the Atlantic Cable.”

    1952

    Restante’s Dairy Bar opened at 67 Flint Avenue featuring milk, cream, buttermilk, and specialty homemade ice cream. It was operated by Paul Restante Sr. and his sons Paul Jr. and John. In 1960, they purchased an ice cream truck and peddled their wares evenings throughout the city neighborhoods.

    1964

    Long mislaid headstones were uncovered this week when the old West Shore freight house was razed. Both stones bear the name “Bellinger” with date of 1886-1889 and 1884-1893. It appears the stones were shipped via the West Shore Railroad and never picked up.

  • This day in history: April 18

    1876

    Dudley Burwell, prominent Little Falls attorney and one-time member of the State legislature, died at his home in what is now Moreland Park. He donated the land for the park and is buried at the top-of-the-hill with his beloved dog.

    1894

    Date of a letter to Zaida Zoller of Little Falls from Susan B. Anthony asking that on November 6th the adjective “male” be stricken from the suffrage clause of the U. S. Constitution.

    1896

    Frank Vincent, of Little Falls, has purchased a lot on Southern Avenue, directly across from Casler & Eaton’s ice house, and will erect a building to be used as a mattress factory. He had started a small mattress business in Casler’s saw mill a few years ago.

    1942

    WW II Era –  The “Salvage for Victory” campaign got off to a good start when the old German cannon, a fixture in Eastern Park since 1920, was dismantled by workman from Matlow & Sons scrap yard.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

The Railway Express Agency and Pigeon Releasing

Sometimes all it takes is a picture or a story to generate a Historical Society writing series piece. Such is the case with this article.

Springtime Greetings Historical Society Members

Spring’s arrival serves as a reminder for me that our directors and officers need to communicate a number of updates to our membership.

A SAILOR AT HEART | THE LIFE STORY OF CHARLES P. BYRON

The prelude to the life story of Charles P. Byron begins as one walks through the entrance of the Old St. Mary’s Cemetery.

The Great Bicycle Relay Race of 1892

THE GREAT BICYCLE RELAY RACE OF 1892

The Great Bicycle Relay Race was published in The Saturday Globe. This article has been adapted and added to by Ann Eysaman Schuyler.

LUNDSTROM BOOKCASE’S LONG JOURNEY HOME

Lundstrom sectional barrister bookcases are often found in local law offices and private homes,holding sets of law books and personal libraries.

2024 HISTORICAL SOCIETY WRITING SERIES DEDICATED TO EDWIN VOGT

2024 HISTORICAL SOCIETY WRITING SERIES DEDICATED TO EDWIN VOGT

In recent years, the Historical Society has dedicated its annual writing series to three teachers, Harold Templeman, Hector Allen, and Helen Dunteman, and to former city historian, and one of the Historical Society’s founding members, Edward Cooney. The Society’s 2024 writing series is being dedicated to Edwin Vogt.

Come and enjoy Christmas in Little Falls!

Plan a visit to the Little Falls Historical Society Museum on your list of fun activities during Christmas in Little Falls from December 8-10.