Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: February 23

    1933

    The home talent, three act farce “Henry’s Wedding,” sponsored by the Junior Welfare League, pleased a large audience at the High school auditorium. In all there were 125 prominent local people in the show including Wilbur Crisp as “O’Flaherty, Chief of Detectives.” The production also tickled a gathering of school kiddies at a matinee yesterday afternoon.

    1954

    Voters, in a special election, defeated a proposal to build a municipal swimming pool in Little Falls, 1452 to 4761. A similar referendum had passed in 1952.

  • This day in history: February 24

    1870

    George Frank, whose experiences in the baking business is well known to most of our villagers, has bought the bakery at the corner of Ann and Church streets, recently occupied by E. Walsh. He will serve his customers with a variety of bread, crackers, cakes, confections, etc.

    1893

    Seventy-three year old Hiram McChesney, a master blacksmith in Little Falls for over 56 years, died of exhaustion after carrying a heavy furnace grate through deep snow from his shop on Second Street to the Reddy Brother’s foundry on Seeley Island.

    1916

    Architect Dwight J. Baum, of Riverdale, N.Y., will draw the plans for Frank Simpson’s new home on Salisbury Street. Mr. Baum is a former Little Falls boy, and his talent as a draughtsman, early apparent, stands him in good stead in his profession. He eventually designed several other distinguished homes in Little Falls.

    1954

    The New York Telephone Company protested a plan to finance a municipal pool in Little Falls with a two percent telephone tax. The pool referendum was defeated 1,452 to 476.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Come and enjoy Christmas in Little Falls!

Plan a visit to the Little Falls Historical Society Museum on your list of fun activities during Christmas in Little Falls from December 8-10.

From left to right:  City Engineer Chet Szymanski, 2nd Ward Alderman and Common Council President Justin Welyczko, Dan Enea of Mohawk Valley Funerals and Cremations, 1st Ward Alderman Tim Lyon, Joan Vogt, 1st Ward Alderman Jonathon Shaffer, Louis Baum, Church Street Cemetery Caretaker Justin Ostasz, Patty Sklarz, David Krutz, Pat Frezza-Gressler, Jeffrey Gressler, and Pat Stock. [Photo by Sarah Rogers]

CITY AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY CONTINUE EFFORTS TO RECOGNIZE AFRICAN AMERICAN BURIAL GROUND

It all began sometime in the early-2000s in the mind and heart of deceased former City Historian Edwin Vogt.

MEMORIAL SERVICE NOTICE FOR ARTHUR WITHINGTON

There will be a Memorial Service for former Little Falls native Annette (Eysaman) Withington’s husband, Arthur, on July 22, 2023, 11am, at the Cornerstone Plymouth Bethesda Church in Utica.

New York State historic marker nearby Yellow Church Cemetery.

Patriots Day at Yellow Church Cemetery

On Saturday May 20, the twelfth annual Patriots Day ceremony was held at historic Yellow Church Cemetery in Manheim. The well-attended event was co-sponsored by the Manheim Lutheran Church Association and the Little Falls Historical Society.

Hector Allen Memorial Celebration

A memorial celebration for Hector Allen will be on June 3, 2023, from noon to 6:00 PM at the H.C. Smith Benefit Club outside St. Johnsville.