Richard Ray Ward gave the property for the Church Street Cemetery to the village.
Church Street Cemetery Tour
Download the Little Falls Historical Society Museum Cemetery Tour brochure
Church Street Cemetery Historical Timeline
September 22, 1834
March 1, 1839
Richard Ray Ward transferred land to Nicholas Devereaux for a Catholic cemetery in Little Falls. Note: The one-half acre of land was adjacent to the Church Street cemetery, and was eventually sold to the village and became “Arthur Street” when the Catholic cemetery was opened on Sherman Street.
April 2, 1842
The village purchased two acres of land from James Monroe, at $90 per acre, for an addition to Church Street Cemetery.
October 18, 1876
Mrs. Dean Miller, born a slave in Danube at the home of General Nicholas Herkimer, now owned by his brother, George, died today at age 76. Mrs. Miller gained the respect and admiration of all of whom she ever came in contact – her virtues were many. Three descendants of the Herkimer family erected a monument to her memory at her grave at the “Colored People’s Burying Ground” in the Church Street Cemetery.
January 9, 1890
Eighty-five year old John Cantlin, the venerable grave digger, died at the home of his daughter. Mr. Cantlin, a worthy and respected citizen, dug the first grave in the Church Street cemetery.
January 16, 1890
Olga, young daughter and only child of Dr. and Mrs. K. A. Bushnell, died at her home of malignant measles. An immense, beautiful monument, fashioned after a recent photo of Olga and her dog, adorns the family burial plot in Church Street Cemetery.
January 15, 1919
The last rites for the city’s foremost citizen and philanthropist, David H. Burrell, were held at his Overlook Mansion. The services were in keeping with the simple life he lived – no eulogy and no music. Business was suspended during the funeral hour. The cortege to Church Street cemetery consisted of fourteen carriages containing mourners, bearers and escort.
February 18, 1926
J. D. Frederiksen, cheese industry icon, inventor, author and manager of the Chr. Hansen Laboratories in Little Falls, died in Florida. Born and educated in Denmark, Mr. Frederiksen came to Little Falls in 1879. Very active in the community, he helped establish the Pine Crest tuberculosis sanatorium in Salisbury. He will be buried in Church Street Cemetery.
May 9, 1930
In a light turnout, voters in the city approved two bonding propositions for executing public work to offset the slack industrial period and help reduce unemployment in the area. One was for paving Southern Avenue, and the second was for improvements at Church Street cemetery.
January 6, 1955
Capt. Milan Mosny died today in a collision of jets over Tokyo Bay. He was the valedictorian of his high school class, and a star basketball player at Little Falls High School under Coach Wilbur Crisp. At West point, the 5’9” Mosny was the team captain, the leading scorer, free throw and field goal percentage leader for both the 47/48 and 48/49 basketball seasons. He was buried in Church Street Cemetery.
August 16, 2015
A monument was dedicated at the old “Colored Burial Ground” in the Church Street Cemetery by the Little Falls Historical Society as a tribute to the recently deceased city historian, Edwin Vogt, who had conceived the idea.