The Western Inland Lock Navigation Canal (WILNC) was the catalyst for growth in the Mohawk Valley and of the western frontier in the late 1790s.
The resettlement of the village after the American Revolution began when a Scottish immigrant, John Porteous, came to Little Falls in 1785.
UNVEILING of the HISTORIC 1795 GUARD LOCK signage will take place on Thursday morning, on August the 10th at 11 am in Little Falls.
On the 12th of July in 1812, Colonel Morgan, proprietor of the “Stag’s Head Tavern” (formerly Crane’s Tavern) entertained General Stephen Van Rensselaer and his officers on their way to the Canadian frontier. A sumptuous banquet was served followed by the usual toasts.”
ON JUNE 30, 1916, the Lift Lock Celebration began for the opening of Lock 17, the highest single lift in the Western Hemisphere at 40 ½ feet.
A patent issued by King George II of England, bestowed to John Jost Schnell and Jacob Zimmerman 3,600 acres of land north of the Mohawk River across from the General Herkimer home.
ON MAY 11, 1869 Governor John T. Hoffman signed the “Fink’s Bridge Bill” much to the delight of the residents and friends living east of Little Falls.
On MAY 9, 1892, “The Jewelers Weekly” mentioned J. H. H. Vosburgh’s remarkable collection of quartz crystals.
On APRIL 18, 1876, Dudley Burwell, prominent Little Falls attorney and one-time member of the state legislature, died at his home in what is now Moreland Park.
On APRIL 7, 1899, the reserved seat sale was opened for the concert by the mandolin and banjo club of St. Lawrence University at the Skinner opera house.