1795 Guard Lock

THE MAGNIFICENT MILE : PORTAGE TO PRESENT. THE WESTERN INLAND LOCK NAVIGATION CANAL PART II

The resettlement of the village after the American Revolution began when a Scottish immigrant, John Porteous, came to Little Falls in 1785.

Circa 1880’s Rufus Grider Pencil and Graphite Drawing: “Little Falls Rapids”

THE MAGNIFICENT MILE : PORTAGE TO PRESENT THE LITTLE CARRYING PLACE PART I

UNVEILING of the HISTORIC 1795 GUARD LOCK signage will take place on Thursday morning, on August the 10th at 11 am in Little Falls.

Crane's Tavern | The old stone tavern was built by William Alexander, son-in-law of John Porteous, and agent for the Ellice Estate, in 1808. | Photo c. early 1900s

Stag’s Head Tavern (formerly Crane’s Tavern)

On the 12th of July in 1812, Colonel Morgan, proprietor of the “Stag’s Head Tavern” (formerly Crane’s Tavern) entertained General Stephen Van Rensselaer and his officers on their way to the Canadian frontier. A sumptuous banquet was served followed by the usual toasts.”

JUNE 30, 1916, Lift Lock Celebration

ON JUNE 30, 1916, the Lift Lock Celebration began for the opening of Lock 17, the highest single lift in the Western Hemisphere at 40 ½ feet.

The Snell Zimmerman Land Patent

MAY 30, 1755: A PLACE TO CALL HOME – THE MOHAWK VALLEY

A patent issued by King George II of England, bestowed to John Jost Schnell and Jacob Zimmerman 3,600 acres of land north of the Mohawk River across from the General Herkimer home.

May 11, 1869: The Fink’s Bridge Bill

ON MAY 11, 1869 Governor John T. Hoffman signed the “Fink’s Bridge Bill” much to the delight of the residents and friends living east of Little Falls.

Donal Hurley and his Little Falls Diamond Collection

May 9, 1892: The Jewelers Weekly

On MAY 9, 1892, “The Jewelers Weekly” mentioned J. H. H. Vosburgh’s remarkable collection of quartz crystals.

Late 19th century map of Moreland (Park).

On April 18, 1876, Dudley Burwell died at his home in what is now Moreland Park

On APRIL 18, 1876, Dudley Burwell, prominent Little Falls attorney and one-time member of the state legislature, died at his home in what is now Moreland Park.

The Skinner Opera House

On APRIL 7, 1899, the reserved seat sale was opened for the concert by the mandolin and banjo club of St. Lawrence University at the Skinner opera house.

The Little Falls Post Office

ON MARCH 30, 1797, John Porteous was appointed postmaster at the little falls, and the post office was located in his store. The early mail was delivered once a week punctually by Adam Feeter.