Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: July 16

    1957

    Dr. Elveleth dies, praticed medicine here for 60 years.  Dr. George S. Elvelerth sucummed to infirmeries at his house in Newprort, NH.

    1880

    The Little Falls  Fire Department’s annual convention of the Firemen’s Association State of New York will be held in Auburn and continue in session for three days.  All of the fire companies have received an invitation to a picnic and dance at St. Johnsville, Thursday of next week.

  • This day in history: July 17

    1777

    Finding that Barry St, Ledger had massed troops and loyalists at Oswego in preparation to invade the Mohawk Valley, General Nichols Herkimer issued a proclamation calling for all men from sixteen to sixty  to arm themselves and prepare to march to Fort Stanwix in defense of the valley. Men over sixty were to defend the homes.

    1874

    Judge Loomis is having the swamp lot, on the corner north of the Catholic church, filled in with gravel from the hills above. This will make a good building site, and be an improvement over the duck pond that has existed there for years.

    1883

    A contract was made by the village with McDermott & Ashenhurst to build a sewerage system for a city of 10,200 people.

    1945

    WW II Era – Another accident at the Gorge View highway entrance to Little Falls as four tons of fish spilled when a  freighter upsets on East Main Street. It wasn’t Friday, but  dozens, if not hundreds, of local families had fish as their main course for dinner.

  • This day in history: July 18

    1908

    20,000 people came from all over to visit the camp of U. S. Army cavalrymen located on the outskirts of Little Falls. The group from Fort Ethan Allen in Vermont, on their way to Pine Camp near Watertown, consisted of 450 men, with more than that number of horses and many mules to draw supply wagons.

    1964

    The former Arkay Hall is being torn down as a part of the Urban Renewal program. The building, at the rear of the McCauley block on Main Street, was built after the big fire in 1893. Used for a variety of purposes, it was the meeting place for the “Independent Order of Red Men,” home of basketball games, boxing and wrestling matches, a rifle range, and a bowling alley.

  • This day in history: July 19

    1812

    General Christopher Bellinger, a native of Little Falls, was one of the American commanders in the Battle of Sackett’s Harbor on Lake Ontario, the first land battle of the War of 1812. Bellinger was the son of Colonel Peter Bellinger and Delia Herkimer Bellinger, sister of General Nicholas Herkimer.

    1895

    The old veterans of Little Falls will hold a basket picnic this evening at Camp Jolly. An invitation has been extended to the Women’s Relief Corps to join in the festivities. The boat will leave Little Falls at 9:30 am and at 1:00 pm.

    1921

    An evening fire drove guests out of the Metropolitan Hotel, and destroyed the stock of the Modern Cloak and Suit Shop, an establishment specially for ladies. The early discovery of the fire and prompt action of the firemen prevented further damage.

    1986

    The City of Little Falls was fined $1,000 by the New York State Department of Health for swimming pool violations after an investigation into the drowning of nine- year old John DuPont in July 1985. The city was charged with “failure to maintain diatomaceous earth filters and proper operating condition,” and “failure to maintain the pool sidewall and bottom free from visible residue.”

    2009

    After 22 years at 572 East Monroe Street, Kelly’s Meat Market will open today at it new location at 520 Albany Street in the Kinney Plaza.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls NY

Historical Society Seeks Prohibition Related Artifacts

Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]

Little Falls Historical Society Museum bg

2018 ANNUAL REPORT

The Little Falls Historical Society Museum 2018 Annual Report is available for download.