The Hinman’s Cave (Hole), situated about one mile north of the village, was explored extensively by students from the Fairfield Academy. Using ropes they descended 100 feet from the surface. There was one room of importance being between 30 and 40 feet wide with dripping water.
The new temple of the International Organization of Odd Fellows, on South William Street, is an ornament and enterprise of the local lodge. The front of the building is an especially fine piece of architecture and is admired by all beholders.
Traffic moved for the first time over the South Side Arterial and bridge over the Mohawk River and Barge canal. There were no ceremonies. At the same time, the old lift bridge, between Mohawk Street and Flint Avenue, was closed, and workmen shortly will start removing it.
This day in history: October 27
Xerxes A. Willard, the man responsible in making Little Falls the “cheese capitol of the nation,” has died. He abandoned law as a career, became a farmer and was editor of the Herkimer County Journal, as well being an author on various phases of cheese making which became standards in the industry. He developed the method for establishing cheese prices and transmitting that information instantly across the country.
Improvements in providing water power for running the large number of factories along the Mohawk River have been completed at a cost of about $60,000. Water is now running in the new raceways.
A train bearing Governor McKinley, the famous Ohio statesman and champion of Protection, and future U.S. president,will stop in Little Falls today. McKinley will deliver an address in Clinton Park adjacent to the railway depot.
Col. Theodore Roosevelt is to speak at the City Theatre in Little Falls today. He will be met at the train station by the local Military Band and escorted to the theatre to discuss the issues of the present campaign before a large crowd.
There is opposition to the proposal for a county airport on Gun Club Road just west of Little Falls. Proponents state the airport is a necessary tool for economic development, while the opponents indicate the “luxury facility” caters to private plane owners with taxpayers footing the bill. The airport was never built.
This day in history: October 29
Partridges seem to be plenty in the market but at the same time the price is very high. They sell for $1.40 a pair, not dressed.
A “human fly”, in the form of Sergeant George G. Polley, climbed to the top of City Hall. His progress was followed by searchlights from automobiles. After going over the cornice, he ascended the tower, and went to the top of the flag pole. He also stood on his head on the top of the tower.
Legendry Dr. Bernard J. Burke, a family physician in Little Falls for over fifty years, has died. He was known for his compassion, kindness, and humility. Dr. Burke treated thousands of patients regardless of age, situation, or ability to pay. When he was needed he was there. He didn’t always get payment for his treatment, but he was always paid with gratitude and love from his patients. The library in Benton Hall Academy and the bridge spanning the railroad, Mohawk River, and the Erie Canal were named in his honor.
This day in history: October 30
Messrs. Snyder & Fisher announce that any resident of Little Falls who orders a bicycle of them before December 1st may have it for $50 net, strictly high grade, with a guarantee for one year. One floor of the factory will be for a bicycle riding school.
The strike at the Phoenix Mill escalates as a riot broke out when the police tried to push their way through a crowd of tightly packed workers. Special officers were stabbed and shot. Many officers and strikers were hurt in a second riot raid at the Slovak gymnasium on German Street (Flint Avenue).
With a little Hollywood magic, East Main Street, between Second and Mary streets, was made to look like a desolate and deserted area for the new Paramount Pictures film “A Quiet Place,” starring John Krasinski and Emily Blunt. About 140 people from the movie’s art department “transformed” Main Street. The footage shot in Little Falls opened the movie.
Little Falls Historical Society Museum staff are working hard getting ready for the season opening in May. A new Sports Wing is underway with trophies, photos, and more, that will be on display for the season opening. As local historians pour over many photos featuring local Little Falls athletes, deciphering who are in the photos […]
https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum-Sports-Wing-Photo-1.jpg9871542Little Falls Historical Society Museumhttps://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.pngLittle Falls Historical Society Museum2019-03-28 17:40:182019-03-28 17:40:29Sports Wing work at the Little Falls Historical Society Museum
The first meeting and presentation of the Little Falls Historical Society for the 2019 season will take place on Tuesday March 26 at 7:00 PM at the WCA located at 534 Garden Street. The presenter is Historical Society member Mike Potter who will display and provide narration for old photos of Little Falls streets and […]
https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png00Little Falls Historical Society Museumhttps://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.pngLittle Falls Historical Society Museum2019-03-23 10:54:362019-03-23 10:55:39March 26 Historical Society Presentation
Patriots Day 2019 Saturday May 18 11:00 AM Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Patriots Day is celebrated each year in most of New England to commemorate the April 15, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord which marked the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The first Patriots Day was declared in 1894. In 1938 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts […]
https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Patriots-Day-Little-Falls-NY.jpeg8531280Little Falls Historical Society Museumhttps://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.pngLittle Falls Historical Society Museum2019-03-08 14:44:582019-03-23 11:00:57Patriots Day 2019
Church St. Cemetery [officially] opened in 1842. A 15-acre lot was purchased by the village from Mr. Ward. At the time, the cemetery was located outside the village with very few homes in close proximity. A wagon road entered the cemetery from Church St., and another rose diagonally from Monroe St. Originally, the southern arm […]
https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Church-Street-Cemetery-Vault.jpg424632Little Falls Historical Society Museumhttps://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.pngLittle Falls Historical Society Museum2019-03-06 15:59:052019-03-06 16:08:232018 Church Street Cemetery Tour
Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]
https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Little-Falls-NY-Mohawk-Valley-Today-7292.jpg9001200Little Falls Historical Society Museumhttps://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.pngLittle Falls Historical Society Museum2019-02-12 12:20:202019-02-15 16:39:32Historical Society Seeks Prohibition Related Artifacts
Little Falls Historical Society Museum
319 South Ann Street
Little Falls, NY (Get directions)