The question was raised as to why the number of establishments in Little Falls employing men have decreased while the factories employing large quantities of women and girls have increased. Yet the town is quite prosperous!Officials asked if the town could continue to prosper unless more employment is furnished for men.
The first house in Little Falls, the home of Mr. John Porteous, commonly known as the “Yellow House”, became the first hotel in Little Falls. Past its doors on Sixth Street, near Furnace Creek, went the stages on their way to and from Albany and Utica, and at its table the hungry traveler’s appetite was satisfied.
At 12:10 p.m. a train with Abraham Lincoln, his family and friends arrived in Little Falls en route to Washington to assume his presidency. The five minute stop was “the prettiest brief reception since he left Springfield.” The Journal & Courier stated “Those who saw the smile upon his countenance wondered that face could be called homely, and all who heard his manly voice felt intuitively that it was the voice of an honest man.”
By an act of the New York State legislature, commissioners were appointed and the Herkimer County National Bank was organized and located in the village of Little Falls. Commissioners included Nathaniel Benton, Dudley Burwell, Arphaxed Loomis, and David Petrie. Business commenced on Saturday August 24, 1833. Burwell took the contents home, deposited them under his bed without a pistol or club near them.