Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: January 27

    1903

    Several years ago a group of prominent Little Falls citizens formed the “Eastern Improvement Company” to develop the Burnt Rocks area of Little Falls, and lay out streets, building lots, and a route for the trolley. The lots did not sell, the trolley never materialized, and the lands were sold today under foreclosure to Mr. D. H. Burrell for $8,009.

    1993

    Little Falls Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) program officer Richard Congdon was selected as the state representative for Region Seven at the annual D.A.R.E. convention at West Point. The area includes Herkimer, Oneida, Madison, Onondaga, and Oswego counties.

  • This day in history: January 28

    1889

    “Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde” is playing tonight at the Cronkhite Opera House.

  • This day in history: January 29

    1889

    The question was raised as to why the number of establishments in Little Falls employing men have decreased while the factories employing large quantities of women and girls have increased. Yet the town is quite prosperous!  Officials asked if the town could continue to prosper unless more employment is furnished for men.

    1931

    Night air mail service was started over Little Falls.

  • This day in history: January 30

    1868

    The Central Railroad Night Express train met with an accident a few miles east of Little Falls. A broken rail threw three of the passenger coaches from the track. All the passengers escaped without injury.

    1900

    Miss Petrie’s class in physical culture played a basketball game against Herkimer with Little Falls winning 24 to 14. Seventy-five Ladies were present for the game, after which Gentlemen were admitted for dancing. Susan B. Anthony’s and Dr. Anna Shaw’s speeches were not falling on deaf ears.

    1906

    In what is normally the coldest part of the winter, the mercury in Little Falls reached 71F. Doors and windows were open, people sat out on porches, overcoats were on men’s arms, and the sprinkler wagon was out to water down the dusty streets.

News and Updates

Patriots Day Little Falls Historical Society Museum Little Falls NY

Patriots Day 2019 Saturday May 18 11:00 AM Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Patriots Day is celebrated each year in most of New England to commemorate the April 15, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord which marked the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The first Patriots Day was declared in 1894. In 1938 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts […]

Church Street Cemetery Vault | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Church St. Cemetery [officially] opened in 1842. A 15-acre lot was purchased by the village from Mr. Ward. At the time, the cemetery was located outside the village with very few homes in close proximity. A wagon road entered the cemetery from Church St., and another rose diagonally from Monroe St. Originally, the southern arm […]

Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls NY

Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]

Little Falls Historical Society Museum bg

The Little Falls Historical Society Museum 2018 Annual Report is available for download.