This day in history: October 1
The Merchants’ and Farmers Bank is doing business at the Banking House on Main Street in Little Falls. Banking hours included Saturday evenings from 6:30 to 8:00 P.M.
Large crowds lined up to purchase tickets for the first passenger train to leave Little Falls on the West Shore Railroad. The West Shore depot was later called “South Little Falls.”
D. H. Burrell & Company have recently imported the ”Thistle Mechanical Milking Machine” from Scotland for their operation on their Hilltop farm. The machine at the Burrell farm milks ten cows at once, averaging one cow per minute, with favorable results.
The Salada-Shirriff-Horsey Company of Boston, Mass., Plant City, Fla., and Toronto, Canada, will acquire the “Junket” Brand Foods Division of Chr. Hansen’s Laboratory, Inc. of Little Falls, as of this date.
The newly built quarters for the New York State Employment Service opened today at 690 East Main Street, the site of the former Knights of Columbus Home which had been razed.
This day in history: October 2
WW II Era – A wartime speed limit of 35 miles an hour went into effect for privately-owned autos nationwide. New York state police indicated tickets would be issued to drivers exceeding the speed limit by one mile per hour or more.
This day in history: October 3
The Polish Catholic Society has purchased property at 45 Furnace and has begun erection of their new church which should be completed next year. The society has occupied the A.M.E. Zion church on West Main Street for a year or more.
All of the memorial stained glass windows that are to be placed in St. Mary’s church have now reached New York City from John Hardman & Sons of Birmingham, England.
At a meeting of the Exchange Club, a letter from S.D. Bradway was read announcing that the Barnet Leather Company was ceasing operations in Little Falls. The company has a long history in the city in their plant on East Mill Street.
Alec MacCallum, a pioneer basketball player, passed away today at age 73. Born in Hardenberry Castle, Worcester, England in 1878, he moved to Little Falls in 1888. When Dr. James Naismith invented basketball in 1891, MacCallum took up the sport and became exceedingly proficient. He played for the Little Falls Athletics in the first game between Little Falls and Herkimer.
This day in history: October 4
The new Emmanuel Episcopal church on Albany Street was consecrated by Rt. Rev. Benjamin Treadwell Onderdonk, Bishop of New York. The congregation had previously worshipped at the old Octagon church, and purchased this property in 1833. The historic Trinity Church Parish in New York City had donated $1,500 towards the building fund.
The non-reinforced concrete road was opened from Little Falls to Paine’s Hollow, amidst great fanfare, to connect with the macadam road to Richfield Springs.
Little Falls Historical Society Museum staff are working hard getting ready for the season opening in May. A new Sports Wing is underway with trophies, photos, and more, that will be on display for the season opening. As local historians pour over many photos featuring local Little Falls athletes, deciphering who are in the photos […]
The first meeting and presentation of the Little Falls Historical Society for the 2019 season will take place on Tuesday March 26 at 7:00 PM at the WCA located at 534 Garden Street. The presenter is Historical Society member Mike Potter who will display and provide narration for old photos of Little Falls streets and […]
Patriots Day 2019 Saturday May 18 11:00 AM Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Patriots Day is celebrated each year in most of New England to commemorate the April 15, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord which marked the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The first Patriots Day was declared in 1894. In 1938 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts […]
Church St. Cemetery [officially] opened in 1842. A 15-acre lot was purchased by the village from Mr. Ward. At the time, the cemetery was located outside the village with very few homes in close proximity. A wagon road entered the cemetery from Church St., and another rose diagonally from Monroe St. Originally, the southern arm […]
Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]