Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: February 23

    1933

    The home talent, three act farce “Henry’s Wedding,” sponsored by the Junior Welfare League, pleased a large audience at the High school auditorium. In all there were 125 prominent local people in the show including Wilbur Crisp as “O’Flaherty, Chief of Detectives.” The production also tickled a gathering of school kiddies at a matinee yesterday afternoon.

    1954

    Voters, in a special election, defeated a proposal to build a municipal swimming pool in Little Falls, 1452 to 4761. A similar referendum had passed in 1952.

  • This day in history: February 24

    1870

    George Frank, whose experiences in the baking business is well known to most of our villagers, has bought the bakery at the corner of Ann and Church streets, recently occupied by E. Walsh. He will serve his customers with a variety of bread, crackers, cakes, confections, etc.

    1893

    Seventy-three year old Hiram McChesney, a master blacksmith in Little Falls for over 56 years, died of exhaustion after carrying a heavy furnace grate through deep snow from his shop on Second Street to the Reddy Brother’s foundry on Seeley Island.

    1916

    Architect Dwight J. Baum, of Riverdale, N.Y., will draw the plans for Frank Simpson’s new home on Salisbury Street. Mr. Baum is a former Little Falls boy, and his talent as a draughtsman, early apparent, stands him in good stead in his profession. He eventually designed several other distinguished homes in Little Falls.

    1954

    The New York Telephone Company protested a plan to finance a municipal pool in Little Falls with a two percent telephone tax. The pool referendum was defeated 1,452 to 476.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Little Falls Historical Society Museum bg

2018 ANNUAL REPORT

The Little Falls Historical Society Museum 2018 Annual Report is available for download.