Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events
This day in history: February 11
1891
James Tappan, better known as “Hunkey” Tappan, was arrested by Officer Holmes at the polling place in Skinner Hall for being drunk, and disorderly, and for trying to vote twice. He was discharged with a reprimand.
1916
For a week or more, the water in the city reservoir was lowering six or eight inches a day. A resident noticed that Furnace Creek was unusually high, and a big break was found nearby in the dead line in Skinner Woods which was repaired.
This day in history: February 12
1916
Weber and Fields appeared at a stage show at the City Theatre.in Little Falls.
1898
Opposition has arisen to the Academy project of building a new $65,000 schoolhouse at the site of the current academy at the corner of East Main and Alexander streets. A movement has started to build the school on West Main Street with the claim that this would be more convenient for the 141 students who live in that general area, but many of them attend St. Mary’s.
This day in history: February 13
1913
Thirty year-old Zaida Zoller was appalled by the condition of the horses in a circus travelling through the area in 1912, and had the owners arrested and the horses confiscated. On this date, through her work and strong public reaction, the Herkimer County Humane Society was incorporated.
2016
Born in Little Falls, of Italian immigrant parents, John J. Riccardo, former President of Chrysler Corporation (1970-1975) and Chairman & CEO (1975-1979) died in Birmingham, Michigan. Active at LFHS, John was a World War II veteran, and graduated with degrees in economics at the University of Michigan. He quickly rose through the ranks at Chrysler.
This day in history: February 14
1788
The first house and store in Little Falls, was the home of Mr. John Porteous, commonly known as the “Yellow House” situated on lots 12 and 13 of the Burnetsfield Patent. It also became the first hotel in Little Falls. Past its doors on Sixth Street, near Furnace Creek, went the stages on their way to and from Albany and Utica, and at its table the hungry traveler’s appetite was satisfied.
1854
A mass meeting was held at Temperance Hall regarding the canal enlargement project at which J. N. Lake gave a rousing speech in favor of the project indicating what it could do for the growth of the village. The next day the Little Falls vote was 504 for and 75 against. State-wide the vote was 185,000 for and 60,000 against.
1885
The affairs of the old Herkimer County National Bank were closed up after an existence of over fifty years. The dissolution was due to the desire of the stockholders to increase its capital stock, and in order to do so a new bank, National Herkimer County Bank, had to be organized. The 1833 building is now the home of the Little Falls Historical Society.
1914
A St. Valentine’s day storm dropped a blanket of snow, and together with 32 below zero weather, all but paralyzed transportation and business in Little Falls. Firemen fought three blazes during the storm. Trains were stalled for four hours.
1919
Bronner’s Garage at 7 West Lansing Street advertised for sale the following automobiles: Model 90 Touring – $985, Model 90 Country Club – $1145, Model 89 Touring, 6 cylinder, 7 passenger – $1625, and Model 88 Willys Knight Touring, 8 cylinder – $2750. They are also distributors of Republic trucks and Case tractors.
1930
The Mohawk Valley Flying Service was formed in Little Falls by Wells Davy and Maynard Seymour. Seymour Field was just west of the city on the flats across from the Mohawk Valley Country Club.
2018
A natural gas explosion and subsequent fire, felt as far away as Ilion and St. Johnsville, leveled two homes and badly damaged several others on the south side of West Main Street in Little Falls. Three people received minor injuries and were treated at area hospitals, and seven families were affected by the fire. Windows were shattered throughout the city.






Rialto was Little Falls’ movie palace
/by Mat RapaczThe Gateway Theatre in Little Falls, later to be renamed Rialto, first opened its doors to the public on October 22, 1923.
Little Falls’ South Side in the 1930s – 1940s: A Remembrance of Time and Place
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumAs long as I can remember my father, Joe Vespasiano, loved to share his stories, and he had a lot of material.
The Little Falls Historical Society hits the ground running in 2025
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumWe are eagerly anticipating this year’s Writing Series with new historical articles that highlight life in Little Falls.
Keene, Sullivan, among those who played Little Falls
/by Mat RapaczTwo of the famous people who performed in plays in Little Falls were the noted actress Laura Keene, and John L. Sullivan, the heavyweight boxing champion.
Come and enjoy Christmas in Little Falls!
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumPlan a visit to the Little Falls Historical Society Museum on your list of fun activities during Christmas in Little Falls at the Old Bank Museum on December 14.
Garfield’s whistle stop – 1880
/by Mat RapaczIn the presidential election of 1880, — General James A. Garfield, Republican nominee for president, brought his campaign to Little Falls on August 4 with a “whistle stop” on the New York Central.
Inter-urban trolley lasted 30 years
/by Mat RapaczThe electric trolley started in Little Falls in 1903 with great fanfare, a convenient and, for awhile at least, popular way to travel between Little Falls and points west and south.