Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: August 10

    1755

    A letter from William Shirley, Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, directed Captain Marcus Petri to proceed from the little falls to the “Canoeing Place” from the Mohawk River to the Wood Creek. Petri was to defend the area from incursion of French & Indian forces.

    1876

    Six hundred people left Little Falls and Valley towns, by train, on a grand excursion to the Thousand Islands under the auspices of the Gen. Z. C. Priest Steamer Co. Upon arrival in Clayton, the party will leave immediately on the splendid new steamer, “T. S. Faxion” which has been specially chartered for the excursion on the St. Lawrence River.

    1933

    The whole town seemed congregated on Ann Street in front of the Rialto Theater, anxious to find out who would be the winner of a new automobile given away by local merchants. Mayor Santry, master of ceremonies, presented the auto to Elizabeth Kling of West Main Street.

    1996

    During the annual Canal Days celebration, an estimated 1,500 people toured the newly rebuilt and renovated Benton Hall Academy. A large number of them were former students and senior citizens. They were impressed by its architectural beauty and sensed its historical significance.

  • This day in history: August 11

    1885

    The United States Patent Office granted to David H. Burrell, of Little Falls, New York, a patent for the first technically sound oil burner. Burrell’s work was done to provide a method to heat large vats of milk, and maintain a constant temperature throughout the liquid. The technique was later adapted to home heating systems. On the centennial of his invention, he was honored by President Reagan.

  • This day in history: August 12

    1847

    The new Benton House has opened (later Girvan House) to the public under the directorship of Mr. Giles Orcutt of Binghamton. It is pleasantly situated at the corner of Main and Ann streets, a short distance from the Rail Road Depot and the Packet boat landing.

    1870

    A man named Donaldson walked a tight rope suspended across from the Petrie building to the Loomis building, in a bag and blindfolded.

    1884

    Work on the Little Falls Roller Skating Rink at the corner of Main and John streets is to be commenced this week at a cost of $4,000. The skating floor will be 49 by 128 feet – all appointments to be first class.

    1886

    The last shipment of starch was made from the Gilbert’s factory ending many years as the village’s leading industry. The raw material had been unloaded to the large storage building on the Erie Canal and conveyorized across Seeley Island to the factory on the Mohawk River for processing. The building will be converted to a knitting mill under the direction of J. J. Gilbert.

    1895

    Manager Tittle of Camp Jolly launched the new barge “City of Little Falls” to be used to transport up to 500 passengers to the campgrounds a few miles east of the city. The double-decker is 55 feet long and 14 feet wide and will be lashed to the “Victor Adams” which can accommodate an additional 200 people. There is room on the barge for dancing.

    1922

    “Kite Day” will be introduced to hundreds of Little Falls kiddies, under the age of 12, when they have the opportunity to make a kite and flying it the highest altitude in a contest under the auspices of the Y.M.C.A.

    1930

    Dan Vickers (later Dr. Dan Vickers), son of Dr. and Mrs. H. W. Vickers, and Wells Davy, both of Little Falls, made their first solo flights at Seymour field near Little Falls. They are members of the Little Falls Flying Club where nine other members are learning to fly.

    1967

    The Eastern Herkimer County Industries Inc. has purchased 24 ½  acres of land from the New York Central Railroad Company. This land, between the railroad tracks and the Mohawk River, comprises the Riverside Industrial Park. The city recently received $280,000 from the United States Department of Commerce to develop the Riverside tract.

    2016

    Stephen “Pitt the Painter” Nicholas won the blue ribbon at the first Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts regional art show. ”Pitt” made his living as a sign painter, and was skilled in eglomise or reverse painting on glass. He is most known for his painting of “The Man on the Bateau,” an image seen throughout Little Falls.

  • This day in history: August 13

    1976

    Bicentennial celebration ceremonies continued throughout Little Falls with a Liberty Tree observance (planting of a pine oak tree at Bellamy Park purchased by LFHS students,) and a Proud Heritage Day program at St. Mary’s Hall.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Manheim youth pictured in front of Cecconi’s Marine in the late-1950s.

Remembering the Old Manheim Neighborhood

Much of today’s third ward of the City of Little Falls was once widely referred to as “the Manheim neighborhood.”

Captain Stephen R. Stegich, III, USMC (Ret) accepting award

57 Years Later, Reflections on the Tet Offensive

On the night of January 30th 1968, the first day of the Vietnamese New Year (Tet), communist forces launched an enormous, concerted attack on American strongholds throughout South Vietnam.

BURIAL GROUND SIGN PLACEMENT COMPLETES LONG PROJECT

BURIAL GROUND SIGN PLACEMENT COMPLETES LONG PROJECT

The combined efforts of the City of Little Falls and the Little Falls Historical Society over a ten-year period culminated in a Thursday August 7th well-attended sign dedication ceremony at the African American Burial Ground section of Church Street Cemetery.

The Victor Knitting Mills, courtesy of the Little Falls Historical Society.

VICTOR ADAMS, A MAN OF PAPER, AND THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE NORTH WOODS

In the years when Little Falls was renowned in the Mohawk Valley as the center of the knit-goods industry, Victor Adams’ Box Manufactory provided employment opportunities to many of its local citizens with the manufacturing of paper boxes.

Little Falls Canal Days Celebration

Off-site programs and activities for Canal Days of the Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Brynn on podium

BRYNN SHEPARDSON ADDED TO MUSEUM NYS CHAMPIONSHIP ATHLETIC HONOR ROLL

There is a multi-faceted history of Little Falls athletics exhibit at the Little Falls Historical Society’s Old Bank Building Museum. Part of this exhibit honors New York State high school champions from Little Falls.

Preserve Our Past presenting its annual historic presentation award to the Little Falls Historical Society

HISTORICAL SOCIETY’S OLD BANK BUILDING MUSEUM RECOGNIZED IN CEREMONY

Saturday June 7th was a very special day at the Old Bank Building Museum. Preserve Our Past (POP) presented its annual historic presentation award to the Little Falls Historical Society in a noontime front portico well-attended ceremony.

Become a Member

Individual Membership

Individual | $10

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Student | $5

Family Membership

Family | $15

Business or Corporate Membership

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Silver | $75

Gold | $100

Platinum | $200

Contact Us

Little Falls Historical Society Museum
319 South Ann Street
Little Falls, NY  (Get directions)

(315) 823-0643

Contact the LFHS

All research requests should go HERE and use the RESEARCH REQUEST FORM.

OLD BANK BUILDING MUSEUM IS OPEN FOR THE 2026 SEASON BEGINNING MAY 29, 2026.

Monday, Wednesday, from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Alternate Fridays from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
(beginning Friday, May 29)
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to noon

For appointments, please call
Louie Baum at 315-867-3527
Mary Ann Terzi at 315-823-1502
Jeff Gressler at 315-823-2799

PLEASE CONTINUE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA FOR UPDATES ON OUTDOOR EVENTS, VIRTUAL TOURS & NEWS.
319 South Ann Street, Little Falls, NY, 13365