Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: January 14

    1890

    An exhibition of the Edison phonograph is being held at the Metropolitan hotel for a few days. This human talking machine is one of the wonders of the age. A large number of musical selections will be given.  Admission is 25 cents.

  • This day in history: January 15

    1836

    A fire burned the library collection.

    1865

    Seaman Daniel Bass, of Little Falls, was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his extraordinary heroism during the land assault at Fort Fisher, North Carolina on this date. After most of the assaulting force retreated, he remained behind, and came safely away bringing the wounded, the arms, and the colors. He is buried in the Wilcox Cemetery in Little Falls.

    1875

    Mr. J.A. Woolever, freight agent at Little Falls, reported that 5,653,118 pounds of cheese was shipped by rail from Little Falls during 1874. He indicated this total did not include large numbers of cheese sent by boat during this same period. 12 million pounds was shipped from Herkimer, Fulton, Montgomery, and Otsego counties valued at $1,740,000.

    1909

    The modern Little Falls Post Office, at the corner of West Main and Third Streets, the new home of Postmaster Harry Becker and his force, is ready to open.

    1919

    The last rites for the city’s foremost citizen and philanthropist, David H. Burrell, were held at his Overlook Mansion. The services were in keeping with the simple life he lived – no eulogy and no music. Business was suspended during the funeral hour.  The cortege to Church Street cemetery consisted of fourteen carriages containing mourners, bearers and escort.

    1939

    The ice skating rink known as the “Huddletown Ice Palace” on Kingsbury Avenue in the upper West Monroe Street neighborhood has opened under the supervision of George Malavasic. The rink had large crowds and featured a Winter Carnival. Mr. Malavasic went on to manage the city sponsored Monroe Street Ice Skating Rink for many years.

  • This day in history: January 16

    1890

    Olga, young daughter and only child of Dr. and Mrs. K. A. Bushnell, died at her home of malignant measles. An immense, beautiful monument, fashioned after a recent photo of Olga and her dog, adorns the family burial plot in Church Street Cemetery.

    1897

    The Little Falls Electric Light and Power Company and the Little Falls Gaslight Company have consolidated under the name of the United Gas and Electric Company of Little Falls.

    1900

    The National Herkimer County Bank in Little Falls has been fortunate in having been designated a depository of United States internal revenue funds.

    1934

    The Little Falls Maennerchor has purchased the Stephan A. Ingham property on South Ann Street and, after alterations and improvements, will endeavor in make it one of the finest homes belonging to any organization in the Mohawk Valley.

  • This day in history: January 17

    1913

    Mrs. Cornelia Moore, one of the best known colored residents of the section and a resident of Little Falls for over 60 years, has passed away. She was honored and esteemed by all who knew her. Active in the affairs of the A.M.E. Zion church, she was one of the best known cateresses in the Mohawk Valley. 

    1943

    Ninety-five year old Martin Burney of Little Falls, Herkimer County’s last veteran of the Civil War, died today in Richmond, Virginia. Mr. Burney’s body will arrive in Little Falls tomorrow and will be met by an American Legion honor guard. Burial will be in the Fairview cemetery.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Little Falls Canal Days Celebration

Off-site programs and activities for Canal Days of the Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Brynn on podium

BRYNN SHEPARDSON ADDED TO MUSEUM NYS CHAMPIONSHIP ATHLETIC HONOR ROLL

There is a multi-faceted history of Little Falls athletics exhibit at the Little Falls Historical Society’s Old Bank Building Museum. Part of this exhibit honors New York State high school champions from Little Falls.

Preserve Our Past presenting its annual historic presentation award to the Little Falls Historical Society

HISTORICAL SOCIETY’S OLD BANK BUILDING MUSEUM RECOGNIZED IN CEREMONY

Saturday June 7th was a very special day at the Old Bank Building Museum. Preserve Our Past (POP) presented its annual historic presentation award to the Little Falls Historical Society in a noontime front portico well-attended ceremony.

4th grade students on their Little Falls Historic Entry field trip.

TWO EVENTS HIGHLIGHT DEDICATION OF LITTLE FALLS HISTORIC ENTRY

The Little Falls Historic Entry has become a physical reality. Two recent events served to highlight this community milestone.

Escape from Slavery and Life in Little Falls

Addison and Lucinda Phillips, a Black family, lived most of their adult lives here beginning in mid-1863, raised their nine children here, and are buried locally.

Source: Никитин, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Researching Your Family History

Sometimes, it hits you that you’re not just one person. Other people define you, and you define them. We’re all in a network of history.

POTLUCK PICNIC TUESDAY JULY 22 6PM ROTARY PARK

Please bring a chair if possible. Bring a dish to share with serving spoon.