Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events
This day in history: August 10
1755
A letter from William Shirley, Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, directed Captain Marcus Petri to proceed from the little falls to the “Canoeing Place” from the Mohawk River to the Wood Creek. Petri was to defend the area from incursion of French & Indian forces.
1876
Six hundred people left Little Falls and Valley towns, by train, on a grand excursion to the Thousand Islands under the auspices of the Gen. Z. C. Priest Steamer Co. Upon arrival in Clayton, the party will leave immediately on the splendid new steamer, “T. S. Faxion” which has been specially chartered for the excursion on the St. Lawrence River.
1933
The whole town seemed congregated on Ann Street in front of the Rialto Theater, anxious to find out who would be the winner of a new automobile given away by local merchants. Mayor Santry, master of ceremonies, presented the auto to Elizabeth Kling of West Main Street.
1996
During the annual Canal Days celebration, an estimated 1,500 people toured the newly rebuilt and renovated Benton Hall Academy. A large number of them were former students and senior citizens. They were impressed by its architectural beauty and sensed its historical significance.
This day in history: August 11
1885
The United States Patent Office granted to David H. Burrell, of Little Falls, New York, a patent for the first technically sound oil burner. Burrell’s work was done to provide a method to heat large vats of milk, and maintain a constant temperature throughout the liquid. The technique was later adapted to home heating systems. On the centennial of his invention, he was honored by President Reagan.
This day in history: August 12
1847
The new Benton House has opened (later Girvan House) to the public under the directorship of Mr. Giles Orcutt of Binghamton. It is pleasantly situated at the corner of Main and Ann streets, a short distance from the Rail Road Depot and the Packet boat landing.
1870
A man named Donaldson walked a tight rope suspended across from the Petrie building to the Loomis building, in a bag and blindfolded.
1884
Work on the Little Falls Roller Skating Rink at the corner of Main and John streets is to be commenced this week at a cost of $4,000. The skating floor will be 49 by 128 feet – all appointments to be first class.
1886
The last shipment of starch was made from the Gilbert’s factory ending many years as the village’s leading industry. The raw material had been unloaded to the large storage building on the Erie Canal and conveyorized across Seeley Island to the factory on the Mohawk River for processing. The building will be converted to a knitting mill under the direction of J. J. Gilbert.
1895
Manager Tittle of Camp Jolly launched the new barge “City of Little Falls” to be used to transport up to 500 passengers to the campgrounds a few miles east of the city. The double-decker is 55 feet long and 14 feet wide and will be lashed to the “Victor Adams” which can accommodate an additional 200 people. There is room on the barge for dancing.
1922
“Kite Day” will be introduced to hundreds of Little Falls kiddies, under the age of 12, when they have the opportunity to make a kite and flying it the highest altitude in a contest under the auspices of the Y.M.C.A.
1930
Dan Vickers (later Dr. Dan Vickers), son of Dr. and Mrs. H. W. Vickers, and Wells Davy, both of Little Falls, made their first solo flights at Seymour field near Little Falls. They are members of the Little Falls Flying Club where nine other members are learning to fly.
1967
The Eastern Herkimer County Industries Inc. has purchased 24 ½ acres of land from the New York Central Railroad Company. This land, between the railroad tracks and the Mohawk River, comprises the Riverside Industrial Park. The city recently received $280,000 from the United States Department of Commerce to develop the Riverside tract.
2016
Stephen “Pitt the Painter” Nicholas won the blue ribbon at the first Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts regional art show. ”Pitt” made his living as a sign painter, and was skilled in eglomise or reverse painting on glass. He is most known for his painting of “The Man on the Bateau,” an image seen throughout Little Falls.
This day in history: August 13
1976
Bicentennial celebration ceremonies continued throughout Little Falls with a Liberty Tree observance (planting of a pine oak tree at Bellamy Park purchased by LFHS students,) and a Proud Heritage Day program at St. Mary’s Hall.






Old Fairfield Academy & Medical College
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumHerkimer County News 1896
Little Falls Municipal Pool Fund Raising Update
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumOur goal is $130,000 to help make it possible for the Little Falls Pool to open for the 2026 season. For many kids, the pool is where summer memories are made.
Save Summer for Our Children in Little Falls By Rick Hartman
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumThe Francis Skinner Municipal Swimming Pool in Little Falls, which has been relied upon for generations since it first opened in 1961, is in danger of not opening this summer.
Officers Raid Booze Plant In Manheim
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumUncover Still On Farm Of Josiah Winants
MOTORCADE TO REVEAL SCENIC ATTRACTIONS OF NEW GORGE VIEW HIGHWAY
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumFrom the Little Falls Historical Society Archives, The Little Falls Evening Times, Tuesday, September 30, 1938.
FLOATING “HOT DOG” STAND ON INGHAMS LAKE (KEYSER LAKE)
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumFrom the Little Falls Historical Society Archives. First printed in the July 14, 1931 Little Falls Evening Times.
The Lockout of the 20,000
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumIn 1886, 20,000 knitting mill employees were locked out of their jobs by 50 mill owners in New York’s Mohawk Valley. The lockout was mostly lost to history but recently came to light.