Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: May 1

    1846

    S. F. Bennet, begs leave to inform the citizens of Little Falls and vicinity, that he is now receiving a very extensive stock of Books and Stationary, cheap Literature, Toys and Fancy Goods, Looking Glasses, Hard Ware, Woolen Ware, and every description of Groceries, Fruit, &c. which he offers for sale at greatly reduced prices for ready pay.

    1877

    Rollin Smith requested permission to build a bandstand in Eastern Park and collected the funds necessary for the construction. It was  completed in time for the Memorial Day dedication of the Soldiers’ Monument in the park by the G.A.R.

    1886

    The control of the Police and Fire Departments passed from the Trustees to a commission named Board of Fire and Police consisting of the Mayor and four Commissioners, but the Mayor has no vote.

    1893

    A large crowd of people gathered at the Central railroad station to see the fac simile of the original “Dewitt Clinton” locomotive and the first coaches drawn by it over the Albany & Schenectady Railroad.

    1900

    H. P. Snyder Manufacturing completed a shipment of 500 bicycles to a firm in Wolverhamton, England. Since December 1899, the company has produced 11,953 bicycles, the largest number ever turned out in a similar length of time.

    Edward Cooney was appointed Little Falls’ first paid fire chief, a position he held for 47 years. During his tenure, he oversaw the transition from horse- drawn to motor-driven apparatus.

     1916

    The Stacey  Company Cheese ceased operations when the executives foresaw the decline of Herkimer County as the center of the cheese trade, and the building space was taken over by the Little Falls Felt Shoe Company which had been founded in 1905. Irving E. Stacey is president of both companies.

    1946

    City Historian, Edward J. Cooney Jr. completed reviewing records and interviewing Little Falls participants in World War Ii. He totaled 1688 men and 69 women, and could not find records for another 11. 363 were married before entering the service, another 256 after joining up.

    1967

    The A&P grocery stores are discontinuing the distribution, begun in 1961, of Plaid Trading Stamps.

  • This day in history: May 2

    1892

    A freight train of the Central composed of 135 cars passed through Little Falls. It was probably the longest train ever drawn by one engine, being over a mile in length.

     1897

    A council of the Knights of Columbus was organized in the old Gymnasium Hall in the McCaley Building in Little Falls. The society has grown greatly in favor among the Catholic people of the area and has a very large membership. 61 candidates were initiated the Major Degree of the Order by Judge John J. Delaney of New York City.

    1913

    Health Officer Dr. A.B. Santry reported that the small-pox epidemic in Little Falls has ended. Sixty cases were placed under strict quarantine, and guards were on a vigorous watch at each house so others might not be exposed. The epidemic has cost Little Falls more than the textile strike.

    2002

    Alan N. Vincent of Little Falls was confirmed as a member of the recently established Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor. The commission’s charter is designed to enhance tourism, education, recreation, and economic development along the more than 500 mile waterway corridor.

  • This day in history: May 3

    1832

    A collection of animals were exhibited at the Eagle Tavern, consisting of an elephant, African lions, tiger, cerval, cougar, panther, camel, apes, etc. A pretentious menagerie was viewed with keen interest by people from all around the neighborhood.

    1834

    The Angenvine Natural History Museum was on exhibition in the Public Square (Western Park) in tents set up for the occasion. The show travelled by boat. This was believed to be the first “circus” to visit Little Falls.

    1895

    A chance is now given Little Falls people to stop paying the heavy royalties on Bell telephones that they have kicking about for years. All they need to do is to stick by the new Interstate Company, and this will be possible.

    1932

    Chief of Police James Long has returned from Colorado, bringing with him John N. Blair of the town of Little Falls, who is wanted for deserting his wife. He located Blair on a sheep ranch, and arrested him with a warrant charging him for non-support.

    1974

    Felix Frederiksen , Little Falls native and son of the famous cheese expert Johan Frederiksen,  died at age 81. Encouraged by his father, he started a cheese-making business in the city on East Monroe Street, and eventually moved to Minnesota where he became the first to commercially produce blue cheese.

    2013

    Demolition continued on a large part of Shopper’s Square to make room for a new 30,500 square foot Price Chopper supermarket. The grocery store will be built on the western end of the site, while the eastern end will undergo renovations. The total cost of the project is $6,459,149.

  • This day in history: May 4

    1881

    Nate Bradford reports that 3,091 people took their meals at his hotel. They consumed six hundred pounds of meat, a barrel of coffee, two chests of tea, eight tubs of butter, six barrels of flour, one thousand pounds of sugar, five hundred cans of fruit and vegetables, ten hundred pounds of cheese, besides other provisions such as potatoes, & turnips.

    2014

    The grand opening of the new Price Chopper supermarket  in downtown Little Falls began today and will extend for the next two weeks.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Sports Wing Photo-4 | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Sports Wing work at the Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Little Falls Historical Society Museum staff are working hard getting ready for the season opening in May. A new Sports Wing is underway with trophies, photos, and more, that will be on display for the season opening. As local historians pour over many photos featuring local Little Falls athletes, deciphering who are in the photos […]

March 26 Historical Society Presentation

The first meeting and presentation of the Little Falls Historical Society for the 2019 season will take place on Tuesday March 26 at 7:00 PM at the WCA located at 534 Garden Street. The presenter is  Historical Society member Mike Potter who will display and provide narration for old photos of Little Falls streets and […]

Patriots Day Little Falls Historical Society Museum Little Falls NY

Patriots Day 2019

Patriots Day 2019 Saturday May 18 11:00 AM Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Patriots Day is celebrated each year in most of New England to commemorate the April 15, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord which marked the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The first Patriots Day was declared in 1894. In 1938 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts […]

Church Street Cemetery Vault | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

2018 Church Street Cemetery Tour

Church St. Cemetery [officially] opened in 1842. A 15-acre lot was purchased by the village from Mr. Ward. At the time, the cemetery was located outside the village with very few homes in close proximity. A wagon road entered the cemetery from Church St., and another rose diagonally from Monroe St. Originally, the southern arm […]

Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls NY

Historical Society Seeks Prohibition Related Artifacts

Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]

Little Falls Historical Society Museum bg

2018 ANNUAL REPORT

The Little Falls Historical Society Museum 2018 Annual Report is available for download.