Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events
This day in history: August 19
1953
Chr. Hansen’s Laboratory celebrated the 75th anniversary of its founding at a banquet at the Mohawk Valley Country Club attended by 190 persons. Company chairman Johannes Hansen, accompanied by his wife, came over from Copenhagen, Denmark to deliver the principal address at the affair.
This day in history: August 20
1835
Colonel McKenster sold his hotel to Ezra C. Southworth and it will be called the Little Falls Hotel.
1867
The Rocktons and the Valley Club of Canajoharie played a very pleasant game of baseball on the Eastern Square in which our boys came off second best, the score standing 66 to 45.
1885
It was a red-letter day as the citizens of Little Falls gave a rousing, solid majority in favor of a water works to ensure a clean and healthy supply of clean water for the village. A pleasing feature of the election was the voting of the ladies who almost invariably voted on the right side for water. 864 electors voted for and 141 against the proposal.
1903
The multi-day “Grand Street Carnival” and “Old Home Week” celebration began today with a huge parade that drew unprecedented crowds to the city. Festivities included a carnival, band concerts featuring local and area bands, and special free exhibitions along city streets.
This day in history: August 21
1888
The Irish societies had their union field-day and outing at Burwell’s Grove with estimates of 2,500 to 3,000 attending. The quantities of food and refreshments required was tremendous, and were consumed in proportionate quantities. Athletic sports and exhibitions of strength, throwing of weights, jumping, baseball, foot races, and hurling were held throughout the day.
The Adam Forepaugh Wild West Combination show arrives in Little Falls, and will feature a wondrous sensational production of “Custer’s Last Stand or Battle of the Little Big Horn.” 200 mounted combatants, genuine savages, scouts, and soldiers including Sergeant Wagner, attack survivor, will be seen.
1916
A locally produced movie, “Man Haters,” was shown at Linton’s Hippodrome Theatre. Made in August 1915 the film featured locals Pauline Killmeier, Mrs. Ella Flood, Mel Nichols, Otto Wagner, and Chief James “Dusty” Long.
1931
The canal and river banks were lined with people, and the nearby streets were jammed with automobiles when Henry Ford’s big boat “Edgewater” came through Little Falls today. The modern steel vessel, 301 feet long and 40 feet wide, presented an imposing sight as it passed by Hansen’s Island
This day in history: August 22
1882
Barnum & London Shows rolled into Little Falls featuring “Jumbo” the massive elephant, 3 circuses in 3 rings, 2 enormous menageries, and the 7 largest shows on Earth. The shows were viewed in two huge tents.
1893
The steam launch, formerly called “Victor Adams,” was set afloat on the river off Moss Island under the new name of “The Hadley Jones.” The boat will seat twelve persons and will run between Moss Island and Five Mile dam, for pleasure parties.
1896
Local liquor dealers had one of the most jolly outings, enjoying a day of royal sport at their clambake at Camp Jolly. On a day of perfect weather, everyone sang, drank, danced, drank, ate, drank and entered heartily into the sports.
1911
Harry Atwood flew the first airplane, a Wright Biplane, over the Mohawk Valley, passing a little to the south of Little Falls, on his famous flight from St. Louis to New York City. The distance of 1265 miles was covered in 28 hours and 31 minutes.






The Lockout of the 20,000
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumIn 1886, 20,000 knitting mill employees were locked out of their jobs by 50 mill owners in New York’s Mohawk Valley. The lockout was mostly lost to history but recently came to light.
Remembering the Old Manheim Neighborhood
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumMuch of today’s third ward of the City of Little Falls was once widely referred to as “the Manheim neighborhood.”
57 Years Later, Reflections on the Tet Offensive
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumOn the night of January 30th 1968, the first day of the Vietnamese New Year (Tet), communist forces launched an enormous, concerted attack on American strongholds throughout South Vietnam.
BURIAL GROUND SIGN PLACEMENT COMPLETES LONG PROJECT
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumThe combined efforts of the City of Little Falls and the Little Falls Historical Society over a ten-year period culminated in a Thursday August 7th well-attended sign dedication ceremony at the African American Burial Ground section of Church Street Cemetery.
VICTOR ADAMS, A MAN OF PAPER, AND THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE NORTH WOODS
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumIn the years when Little Falls was renowned in the Mohawk Valley as the center of the knit-goods industry, Victor Adams’ Box Manufactory provided employment opportunities to many of its local citizens with the manufacturing of paper boxes.
Little Falls Canal Days Celebration
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumOff-site programs and activities for Canal Days of the Little Falls Historical Society Museum
BRYNN SHEPARDSON ADDED TO MUSEUM NYS CHAMPIONSHIP ATHLETIC HONOR ROLL
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumThere is a multi-faceted history of Little Falls athletics exhibit at the Little Falls Historical Society’s Old Bank Building Museum. Part of this exhibit honors New York State high school champions from Little Falls.