Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: August 19

    1953

    Chr. Hansen’s Laboratory celebrated the 75th anniversary of its founding at a banquet at the Mohawk Valley Country Club attended by 190 persons. Company chairman Johannes Hansen, accompanied by his wife, came over from Copenhagen, Denmark to deliver the principal address at the affair.

  • This day in history: August 20

    1835

    Colonel McKenster sold his hotel to Ezra C. Southworth and it will be called the Little Falls Hotel.

    1867

    The Rocktons and the Valley Club of Canajoharie played a very pleasant game of baseball on the Eastern Square in which our boys came off second best, the score standing 66 to 45.

    1885

    It was a red-letter day as the citizens of Little Falls gave a rousing, solid majority in favor of a water works to ensure a clean and healthy supply of clean water for the village. A pleasing feature of the election was the voting of the ladies who almost invariably voted on the right side for water. 864 electors voted for and 141 against the proposal.

    1903

    The multi-day “Grand Street Carnival” and “Old Home Week” celebration began today with a huge parade that drew unprecedented crowds to the city. Festivities included a carnival, band concerts featuring local and area bands, and special free exhibitions along city streets.

  • This day in history: August 21

    1888

    The Irish societies had their union field-day and outing at Burwell’s Grove with estimates of 2,500 to 3,000 attending. The quantities of food and refreshments required was tremendous, and were consumed in proportionate quantities. Athletic sports and exhibitions of strength, throwing of weights, jumping, baseball, foot races, and hurling were held throughout the day.

    The Adam Forepaugh Wild West Combination show arrives in Little Falls, and will feature a wondrous sensational production of “Custer’s Last Stand or Battle of the Little Big Horn.” 200 mounted combatants, genuine savages, scouts, and soldiers including Sergeant Wagner, attack survivor, will be seen.

    1916

    A locally produced movie, “Man Haters,” was shown at Linton’s Hippodrome Theatre. Made in August 1915 the film featured locals Pauline Killmeier, Mrs. Ella Flood, Mel Nichols, Otto Wagner, and Chief James “Dusty” Long.

    1931

    The canal and river banks were lined with people, and the nearby streets were jammed with automobiles when Henry Ford’s big boat “Edgewater” came through Little Falls today. The modern steel vessel, 301 feet long and 40 feet wide, presented an imposing sight as it passed by Hansen’s Island

  • This day in history: August 22

    1882

    Barnum & London Shows rolled into Little Falls featuring “Jumbo” the massive elephant, 3 circuses in 3 rings, 2 enormous menageries, and the 7 largest shows on Earth. The shows were viewed in two huge tents.

    1893

    The steam launch, formerly called “Victor Adams,” was set afloat on the river off Moss Island under the new name of “The Hadley Jones.” The boat will seat twelve persons and will run between Moss Island and Five Mile dam, for pleasure parties.

    1896

    Local liquor dealers had one of the most jolly outings, enjoying a day of royal sport at their clambake at Camp Jolly. On a day of perfect weather, everyone sang, drank, danced, drank, ate, drank and entered heartily into the sports.

    1911

    Harry Atwood flew the first airplane, a Wright Biplane, over the Mohawk Valley, passing a little to the south of Little Falls, on his famous flight from St. Louis to New York City. The distance of 1265 miles was covered in 28 hours and 31 minutes.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls NY

Historical Society Seeks Prohibition Related Artifacts

Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]

Little Falls Historical Society Museum bg

2018 ANNUAL REPORT

The Little Falls Historical Society Museum 2018 Annual Report is available for download.

Xerxes Willard

Xerxes Willard and the Prominence of the Little Falls Cheese Markets

Little Falls, New York enjoys a singular reputation in American agricultural history as the most important interior market for cheese during the great boom in dairy exports that began in the Civil War and peaked in ca. 1881.

Become a Member

Individual Membership

Individual | $10

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Student | $5

Family Membership

Family | $15

Business or Corporate Membership

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Silver | $75

Gold | $100

Platinum | $200

Contact Us

Little Falls Historical Society Museum
319 South Ann Street
Little Falls, NY  (Get directions)

(315) 823-0643

Contact the LFHS

Use this form for general inquiries.

OLD BANK BUILDING MUSEUM IS OPEN FOR THE 2026 SEASON BEGINNING MAY 29, 2026.

Monday, Wednesday, from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Alternate Fridays from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
(beginning Friday, May 29)
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to noon

For appointments, please call
Louie Baum at 315-867-3527
Mary Ann Terzi at 315-823-1502
Jeff Gressler at 315-823-2799

PLEASE CONTINUE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA FOR UPDATES ON OUTDOOR EVENTS, VIRTUAL TOURS & NEWS.
319 South Ann Street, Little Falls, NY, 13365