Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: August 24

    1833

    Business commenced at the Herkimer County National Bank on this Saturday morning. Dudley Burwell took the contents home, deposited them under his bed without a pistol or club near them.

    1932

    Miss Mary Clark won the popularity contest at the Rialto Theatre, sponsored by local merchants, and was given a free trip to Bermuda in October. She was crowned by Mayor Santry as “Miss Little Falls.” Allowed to take a friend, she chose Miss Coletta McLaughlin.

    1963

    The city of Little Falls has an official flag. It was designed through the cooperation of Acting City Engineer John Gallagher, Mrs. Mary Louise Cooney, and Architect Charles Maltby. The flag features a “Little Falls” diamond, and the wording “City of Little Falls, New York,” “Est. 1811,” and “Inc. 1895.”

    1968

    The new lookout on the Little Falls – Dolgeville highway has been completed. The beautiful Mohawk Valley is viewed showing the river, canal, NYCRR, highways, and rolling hills.

    2009

    A vital city resource has been returned to the Little Falls community with the early August reopening of the Francis Skinner Municipal Swimming Pool. The revitalization project was achieved through the efforts of the City DPW, city government, local businessmen and factory owners, area contractors, and many, many dedicated volunteers.

  • This day in history: August 25

    1874

    Mr. Henry Cheney, founder of the Cheney Hammer Company in Little Falls, has bought the local axe factory lately owned by Mr. Barry Van Vechten.

  • This day in history: August 26

    1896

    William Jennings Bryan, the Democratic nominee for the presidency, stopped briefly in Little Falls at 10:40 at night to the cheers of a great concourse of people. The crowds pushed, surged, and rushed toward the rear platform, and the ovations were so loud and sustained Bryan, the “boy orator,” was unable to give a speech. He smiled and bowed as the train left the city.

  • This day in history: August 27

    1837

    A robber detached the “baggage wagon” from an eastbound train a short distance east of Little Falls. It was discovered missing a few minutes later, and the train slowly backed up to the village. Two railroad hands surprised the robber going through the mail and belongings, subdued him, and promptly “closed” the case.

    1957

    Restante’s Dairy advertised milk at 23 cents a quart for home delivery, and 21 cents a quart at their dairy bar on Flint Avenue. A special price of 6 quarts for $1.15. They asked that bottles be returned daily.

    2015

    Twelve opera singers from Mexico, studying in Little Falls, presented a “Voices of Mexico” concert at Benton Hall Academy under the direction of Mathieu Guertin. They were accompanied by international pianist Vlad Iftinca, who is from Romania and now resides in Little Falls and Teresa Rodriguez.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

Patriots Day Little Falls Historical Society Museum Little Falls NY

Patriots Day 2019

Patriots Day 2019 Saturday May 18 11:00 AM Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Patriots Day is celebrated each year in most of New England to commemorate the April 15, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord which marked the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The first Patriots Day was declared in 1894. In 1938 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts […]

Church Street Cemetery Vault | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

2018 Church Street Cemetery Tour

Church St. Cemetery [officially] opened in 1842. A 15-acre lot was purchased by the village from Mr. Ward. At the time, the cemetery was located outside the village with very few homes in close proximity. A wagon road entered the cemetery from Church St., and another rose diagonally from Monroe St. Originally, the southern arm […]

Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls NY

Historical Society Seeks Prohibition Related Artifacts

Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]

Little Falls Historical Society Museum bg

2018 ANNUAL REPORT

The Little Falls Historical Society Museum 2018 Annual Report is available for download.

Xerxes Willard

Xerxes Willard and the Prominence of the Little Falls Cheese Markets

Little Falls, New York enjoys a singular reputation in American agricultural history as the most important interior market for cheese during the great boom in dairy exports that began in the Civil War and peaked in ca. 1881.

Become a Member

Individual Membership

Individual | $10

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Student | $5

Family Membership

Family | $15

Business or Corporate Membership

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Silver | $75

Gold | $100

Platinum | $200

Contact Us

Little Falls Historical Society Museum
319 South Ann Street
Little Falls, NY  (Get directions)

(315) 823-0643

Contact the LFHS

Use this form for general inquiries.

OLD BANK BUILDING MUSEUM IS OPEN FOR THE 2026 SEASON BEGINNING MAY 29, 2026.

Monday, Wednesday, from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Alternate Fridays from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
(beginning Friday, May 29)
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to noon

For appointments, please call
Louie Baum at 315-867-3527
Mary Ann Terzi at 315-823-1502
Jeff Gressler at 315-823-2799

PLEASE CONTINUE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA FOR UPDATES ON OUTDOOR EVENTS, VIRTUAL TOURS & NEWS.
319 South Ann Street, Little Falls, NY, 13365