Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events

  • This day in history: August 10

    1755

    A letter from William Shirley, Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, directed Captain Marcus Petri to proceed from the little falls to the “Canoeing Place” from the Mohawk River to the Wood Creek. Petri was to defend the area from incursion of French & Indian forces.

    1876

    Six hundred people left Little Falls and Valley towns, by train, on a grand excursion to the Thousand Islands under the auspices of the Gen. Z. C. Priest Steamer Co. Upon arrival in Clayton, the party will leave immediately on the splendid new steamer, “T. S. Faxion” which has been specially chartered for the excursion on the St. Lawrence River.

    1933

    The whole town seemed congregated on Ann Street in front of the Rialto Theater, anxious to find out who would be the winner of a new automobile given away by local merchants. Mayor Santry, master of ceremonies, presented the auto to Elizabeth Kling of West Main Street.

    1996

    During the annual Canal Days celebration, an estimated 1,500 people toured the newly rebuilt and renovated Benton Hall Academy. A large number of them were former students and senior citizens. They were impressed by its architectural beauty and sensed its historical significance.

  • This day in history: August 11

    1885

    The United States Patent Office granted to David H. Burrell, of Little Falls, New York, a patent for the first technically sound oil burner. Burrell’s work was done to provide a method to heat large vats of milk, and maintain a constant temperature throughout the liquid. The technique was later adapted to home heating systems. On the centennial of his invention, he was honored by President Reagan.

  • This day in history: August 12

    1847

    The new Benton House has opened (later Girvan House) to the public under the directorship of Mr. Giles Orcutt of Binghamton. It is pleasantly situated at the corner of Main and Ann streets, a short distance from the Rail Road Depot and the Packet boat landing.

    1870

    A man named Donaldson walked a tight rope suspended across from the Petrie building to the Loomis building, in a bag and blindfolded.

    1884

    Work on the Little Falls Roller Skating Rink at the corner of Main and John streets is to be commenced this week at a cost of $4,000. The skating floor will be 49 by 128 feet – all appointments to be first class.

    1886

    The last shipment of starch was made from the Gilbert’s factory ending many years as the village’s leading industry. The raw material had been unloaded to the large storage building on the Erie Canal and conveyorized across Seeley Island to the factory on the Mohawk River for processing. The building will be converted to a knitting mill under the direction of J. J. Gilbert.

    1895

    Manager Tittle of Camp Jolly launched the new barge “City of Little Falls” to be used to transport up to 500 passengers to the campgrounds a few miles east of the city. The double-decker is 55 feet long and 14 feet wide and will be lashed to the “Victor Adams” which can accommodate an additional 200 people. There is room on the barge for dancing.

    1922

    “Kite Day” will be introduced to hundreds of Little Falls kiddies, under the age of 12, when they have the opportunity to make a kite and flying it the highest altitude in a contest under the auspices of the Y.M.C.A.

    1930

    Dan Vickers (later Dr. Dan Vickers), son of Dr. and Mrs. H. W. Vickers, and Wells Davy, both of Little Falls, made their first solo flights at Seymour field near Little Falls. They are members of the Little Falls Flying Club where nine other members are learning to fly.

    1967

    The Eastern Herkimer County Industries Inc. has purchased 24 ½  acres of land from the New York Central Railroad Company. This land, between the railroad tracks and the Mohawk River, comprises the Riverside Industrial Park. The city recently received $280,000 from the United States Department of Commerce to develop the Riverside tract.

    2016

    Stephen “Pitt the Painter” Nicholas won the blue ribbon at the first Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts regional art show. ”Pitt” made his living as a sign painter, and was skilled in eglomise or reverse painting on glass. He is most known for his painting of “The Man on the Bateau,” an image seen throughout Little Falls.

  • This day in history: August 13

    1976

    Bicentennial celebration ceremonies continued throughout Little Falls with a Liberty Tree observance (planting of a pine oak tree at Bellamy Park purchased by LFHS students,) and a Proud Heritage Day program at St. Mary’s Hall.

From the Cooney Archives

News and Updates

April 23, 2019 Little Falls Historical Society Presentation

At 7:00 PM on Tuesday April 23, Little Falls Historical Society member Byron Roff will make a presentation on the role of DNA evidence in conducting family genealogical research. Roff’s presentation will take place at the WCA, located at 534 Garden St. and is free and open to the public. Roff has extensive experience in […]

Standing room only presentation by the Little Falls Historical Society Museum

The presentation on March 26 at the WCA was so well attended that there was standing room only! Mike Potter presented wonderful photos that dated from late the 1800s to the early 1900s. The photos highlight Little Falls streets and transportation during that time period. What we do The Little Falls Historical Society Museum works […]

Sports Wing Photo-4 | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Sports Wing work at the Little Falls Historical Society Museum

Little Falls Historical Society Museum staff are working hard getting ready for the season opening in May. A new Sports Wing is underway with trophies, photos, and more, that will be on display for the season opening. As local historians pour over many photos featuring local Little Falls athletes, deciphering who are in the photos […]

March 26 Historical Society Presentation

The first meeting and presentation of the Little Falls Historical Society for the 2019 season will take place on Tuesday March 26 at 7:00 PM at the WCA located at 534 Garden Street. The presenter is  Historical Society member Mike Potter who will display and provide narration for old photos of Little Falls streets and […]

Patriots Day Little Falls Historical Society Museum Little Falls NY

Patriots Day 2019

Patriots Day 2019 Saturday May 18 11:00 AM Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Patriots Day is celebrated each year in most of New England to commemorate the April 15, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord which marked the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The first Patriots Day was declared in 1894. In 1938 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts […]

Church Street Cemetery Vault | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

2018 Church Street Cemetery Tour

Church St. Cemetery [officially] opened in 1842. A 15-acre lot was purchased by the village from Mr. Ward. At the time, the cemetery was located outside the village with very few homes in close proximity. A wagon road entered the cemetery from Church St., and another rose diagonally from Monroe St. Originally, the southern arm […]

Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls NY

Historical Society Seeks Prohibition Related Artifacts

Many stories abound in Little Falls from the Roaring 20’s era of Prohibition which lasted from 1919-1933. Some of our parents or grandparents may even have violated the Volstead Act. This law attempted to establish the legal apparatus to enforce the 18th Amendment which outlawed the manufacture, sale, and transportation of most alcoholic beverages. There […]

Become a Member

Individual Membership

Individual | $10

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Student | $5

Family Membership

Family | $15

Business or Corporate Membership

Sustaining | $25

Patron | $50

Silver | $75

Gold | $100

Platinum | $200

Contact Us

Little Falls Historical Society Museum
319 South Ann Street
Little Falls, NY  (Get directions)

(315) 823-0643

Contact the LFHS

All research requests should go HERE and use the RESEARCH REQUEST FORM.

OLD BANK BUILDING MUSEUM IS OPEN FOR THE 2026 SEASON BEGINNING MAY 29, 2026.

Monday, Wednesday, from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Alternate Fridays from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
(beginning Friday, May 29)
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to noon

For appointments, please call
Louie Baum at 315-867-3527
Mary Ann Terzi at 315-823-1502
Jeff Gressler at 315-823-2799

PLEASE CONTINUE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA FOR UPDATES ON OUTDOOR EVENTS, VIRTUAL TOURS & NEWS.
319 South Ann Street, Little Falls, NY, 13365