Little Falls Historical Society Museum
  • HOME
  • BECOME A MEMBER
  • WRITING SERIES
  • CONTACT US
  • NEWS
    • Mat Rapacz Archives
  • EXHIBITS
    • CURRENT EXHIBITS
    • VIRTUAL EXHIBITS
    • ONGOING EXHIBITS
  • EXPERIENCE LITTLE FALLS HISTORY & HISTORIC ENTRY
    • Audio Tours
    • Echoes of Legacy
    • Historic Homes and Places in Little Falls
  • BOOKS AVAILABLE
  • SUNY ONEONTA’S COOPERSTOWN Graduate Program | Museum Studies
  • HISTORY SUPER SLEUTH
  • FOR THE HISTORIAN
    • Pre-human History – 1500
    • 1490 – 1650
    • 1651 – 1790
    • 1791 – 1870
    • MAKING HISTORY TODAY
      • Student Edition
  • ABOUT US
    • ANNUAL REPORTS
    • Privacy Policy
  • OUR SPONSORS
  • Menu Menu
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Mail

Little Falls, NY

  • This day in history: September 15

    1821

    The first newspaper published in Little Falls, the “People’s Friend”, by Edward Griffing, was printed in Mechanic’s Hall on Main Street, and later at the brick house on Garden Street at the head of Mary Street.

    1843

    The boat “The Champion” left her dock at Little Falls for Troy with a mammoth load: 1944 boxes of cheese, 43 cases of cheese, 3 boxes of woolens, and 1 box of leather. The cargo weighed 150,561 pounds and the toll was $56.50.

    1885

    One of the oldest and most honored citizens of Little Falls, Judge Arphaxed Loomis, passed away. Born in 1798 in Connecticut, he moved to to Salisbury as a young boy in 1803. Long prominent in local affairs, he ranked among the foremost men in the State, and was an acknowledged leader in shaping its course as the Empire State. Arphaxed Loomis, is remembered most for his successful efforts in forcing the Ellice Estate to sell their holdings in Little Falls. He was village president (1831-1836,) County Judge, member of the NYS Assembly, and member of Congress. He built his home at 676 East Main Street in 1832.

    1901

    A memorial service for all churches in the city was held for President William McKinley at the Skinner Opera House. McKinley had been assassinated nine days earlier in Buffalo, New York.

    1982

    New officers were installed for the Little Falls Bocce League. Charlie Raiello, Ugo Taverni, and John Casullo took over the reins from Lou Colangelo and Paul Terenzetti.  The local bocce ball courts are located at the Veterans Memorial Park complex.

    2010

    A flotilla enroute to Rochester for the 2010 World Canals Conference stopped in Little Falls today. The flotilla is made up of pleasure and tour boats, as well as several historic and operational vessels from the New York State Canal Corporation.

  • Many thanks to Louie Baum for his research for This Day in History.

    ALL EXHIBITS

    • 1912 Little Falls Textile Strike
    • 1940 Gulf Curve Train Wreck
    • 240th Anniversary of the Battles of Stone Arabia and Klock’s Field
    • Athletics Wing Collection
    • Battle of West Canada Creek
    • Camp Jolly Exhibit
    • Church Street Cemetery Tour
    • City Hall – A History
    • Distant Drums – Little Falls during the Civil War Era
    • Early Base Ball in Little Falls
    • Early Little Falls Buildings and Organizations
    • First U.S. Cheese Market Exhibit
    • Frog Fountain
    • Herkimer County Bank
    • Little Falls African American History
    • Little Falls Diamonds Collection
    • Little Falls Music Exhibit
    • Little Falls Waterways
    • Little Falls and Women’s Suffrage
    • Making History Today
    • Making History Today Student Edition
    • Massacre at the Little Falls Grist Mill
    • Myjava, Slovakia, Sister City of Little Falls
    • Native American Exhibit
    • Prohibition Exhibit
    • Rockton Exhibit
    • Urban Renewal Exhibit
    • Vietnam War Exhibit
    • World War II and Korean Conflict Exhibit
    Helen Dunteman

    LITTLE FALLS HISTORICAL SOCIETY ANNOUNCES 2022 WRITING SERIES

    April 25, 2022/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum
    Helen Dunteman

    The officers and directors of the Little Falls Historical Society are proud to announce that their 2022 writing series will be dedicated to former Little Falls social studies teacher Helen Dunteman.

    In 2020, this writing series was dedicated to former Little Falls high school English teacher Harold Templeman and the 2021 writing series was dedicated to former Little Falls high school social studies teacher Hector Allen.

    The Little Falls high school graduating class of 1958 dedicated their yearbook to Helen Dunteman by noting that she had taught for forty years during which time she was both a teacher and friend to many Little Falls students. Helen passed away in 1984, but she is still remembered by several Historical Society members as an outstanding teacher who helped shape their lives in a positive manner.

    The first 2022 writing series article will appear in the news on our website and in MyLittleFalls.com on Tuesday April 26.

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Helen-Dunteman-smaller.jpg 1200 911 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2022-04-25 07:28:002022-04-21 14:35:56LITTLE FALLS HISTORICAL SOCIETY ANNOUNCES 2022 WRITING SERIES
    Helen Dunteman

    MISS HELEN DUNTEMAN

    January 3, 2022/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    Helen Dunteman was a highly respected social studies teacher in the Little Falls school district for many years, retiring in 1962. Helen was both a lifelong Little Falls resident and a graduate of Oneonta State Normal School. She passed away in 1984.

    Read more
    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Helen-Dunteman-smaller.jpg 1200 911 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2022-01-03 13:31:002024-01-24 11:11:50MISS HELEN DUNTEMAN

    Industrialization in Little Falls, New York, 1790-1960

    November 22, 2021/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    The Little Falls Historical Society much appreciates the opportunity to work with the SUNY Oneonta’s Cooperstown Graduate Program of Museum Studies. Some background history about Little Falls will add perspective.

    Read Industrialization in Little Falls, New York, 1790-1960
    Subtitle: A Cabinet of Curiosities by the Cooperstown Graduate Program

    The City of Little Falls is a community of around 4700 residents situated in southern Herkimer County astride both the Mohawk River and the Erie Canal. Little Falls’ development and rich industrial history were impacted by geology and topography, particularly its waterside proximity.

    The first inhabitants of the immediate area around Little Falls were members of the Iroquois Confederacy, primarily the Mohawks, one of the five tribes making up the Confederacy. The Mohawks were the keepers of the Eastern Gate of Iroquois territory. They called the area “Astenrogan” or “tumbling waters.”

    The region’s first European visitors in the early 1600’s were Dutch and French traders and French Jesuit priests all in pursuit of favorable relations with Native Americans. The French first referred to the area as “little falls” to distinguish it from the “big falls” at Cohoes. In 1664, England seized New York from the Dutch

    England used Palatine Germans in their upper Hudson Valley naval stores project; the Palatines eventually migrated into the central Mohawk Valley in the early 1700’s. Divided loyalties, largely based on ethnicity, characterized the entire region during the Revolutionary War.

    The six lock Western Inland Lock Navigation Canal began operation in 1794 in order to make easier waterway passage around the Little Falls rapids. Little Falls was incorporated as a village in 1811. The Erie Canal was completed in 1825 and Little Falls began to thrive as the industrial hub of the central Mohawk Valley. Little Falls was later chartered as a city in 1895.

    In 1833, the present Old Bank Museum, made of native rock and cut limestone, began operation as the first bank in Herkimer County. The building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1970 and it is the present home of the Little Falls Historical Society.

    Fast forward to 2018 when Dr. Erik Stengler resided in Little Falls with his family for a short period before taking up residence in Cooperstown. During his stay in Little Falls, Dr. Stengler became enamored with the community’s history. He was the first to conceptualize of Little Falls history as a potential area of study for his museum studies students. In 2019, Dr. Stengler reached out to the Historical Society to serve as an educational partner for his students.

    The board of directors and officers of the Historical Society responded most favorably to this overture and this collaborative partnership was born and the byproduct of this collaboration is this book. Please enjoy this wonderful piece of work that has been generated by this fine group of students.

    Jeff Gressler

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/LFHS_museum.jpg 900 1200 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2021-11-22 15:09:002022-01-28 11:15:11Industrialization in Little Falls, New York, 1790-1960

    Tour Guide, Organizer and Historical Society Member, Gary Staffo, has requested that the Little Falls Historical Society share the Southside Walking Tour VIII – 1st FALL Tour!

    October 25, 2021/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    Growing Up on the Southside 1957 – 1970

    (By popular demand SATURDAY November 06, 2021 for the 1st FALL TOUR!)

    WHEN: Saturday November 06, 2021 

    Sign In begins at 8AM  (Registration, Questions, Safety Briefing), and the Tour STARTS at 9AM.

    Allow 2 to 3 hours, but participants can leave at any time (Please inform Tour Guide when leaving). 

    PANDEMIC CONCERNS – This tour is outdoors with social distancing. We will adhere to all NYS and CDC guidelines in effect at the time of the event. 

    Other personal protective measures such as masks are optional based on your personal comfort. 

    Your Tour Guide has received the three Covid-19 Vaccination doses.

    WHERE: Meet at the Rotary Park Terminal Building on Southern Ave by NLT 8:30 am. We will start on time. Parking and rest rooms are available at the Terminal. NO REST ROOMS ALONG THE TOUR!

    Special Needs:  The walk includes unpaved dirt paths, uneven surfaces, outdoors, etc.

    Moderate to vigorous physical activity.

    Pets:  Please do not bring your pets, as we may encounter other “pets” that are not under owner command or on a leash.

    REGISTRATION: Advance registration is requested and appreciated. Please register by phone or email.

    If you have questions or concerns, contact Gary.  Southside Territory Details list available upon request.

    Gary T. Staffo

    Phone: 703-336-7241

    Email: 6226gardenroad@gmail.com

    (NOTE:  This is an independent event and is not an official program of the Little Falls Historical Society.)

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Southside-tour-2.jpg 762 1038 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2021-10-25 09:40:412021-10-25 09:40:44Tour Guide, Organizer and Historical Society Member, Gary Staffo, has requested that the Little Falls Historical Society share the Southside Walking Tour VIII – 1st FALL Tour!

    A FAN’S NOTES ON THE RETURN OF VINTAGE BASE BALL TO LITTLE FALLS

    August 24, 2021/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    This author admits upfront that he is both a local history nut and a diehard New York Yankees fan. The intertwined paths of baseball and American history resonate with me. Older readers of this piece will likely recall watching Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and the transformational impact of Jackie Robinson. This author’s baseball roots trace to Willie Mays, Duke Snyder and Mickey Mantle, ah, The Mick, my favorite. I grew up assuming that the Yankees would always play in the World Series each year.

    2021 Canal Days Celebration included the return of vintage base ball to Little Falls in the form of a three-team, three-game, round-robin tournament. The newly formed Little Falls Alerts competed against the Catskill area Bovina Dairymen and the Mountain Athletic Club, all retrieved names from the earliest days of American baseball. 1860’s, 1880’s and 1890’s era base ball game rules were in place at different times during the three games. 

    Early era Little Falls base ball teams included the Rough and Readys and the Pastimes in the 1860’s, the Excelsiors in the 1870’s and the Rocktons and the Alerts in the 1880’s – 90’s. The Alerts took the field in the north end of Ward Square in the 1880’s-90’s for most of their games. Games were heavily attended. 

    I watched most of the first game between the Alerts and the Bovina Dairymen and the entire third game between the local nine and the Mountain Athletic Club. I was not present for the second game between the two Catskill region teams.

    Authenticity, gentlemanly conduct, high-spirited competitiveness and inter-team camaraderie graced the daylong tournament. The local nine may have lost both of their games to the longer-established downstate teams, but their athleticism and baseball acumen were in evidence throughout; an important foothold was re-established and another Little Falls tradition has been reborn. Vintage base ball is back in Little Falls after a long hiatus. The new Alerts will now carry forward our vintage base ball banner. Three cheers for the Alerts!

    Vintage base ball both resembles and differs from our modern national pastime. The players do not wear ball gloves, hit balls caught on the first bounce are still outs; the difference in rules is too complex to be fully captured in this piece. Vintage base ball equipment, including bats, balls and catcher’s gear is also quite different. 

    The Little Falls Historical Society has provided financial sponsorship for the Alerts, including the purchase of four high-quality bats hand-turned to perfection by local craftsman Ian Giudilli who labeled each bat “made in Little Falls” and “Rough and Ready.”

    In conclusion, Little Falls vintage base ball is back and being roundly embraced by a talented group of local athletes eager to call themselves Alerts. The Little Falls Historical Society and the Little Falls Family and Youth Center have partnered to back the Alerts and the City is eager to provide the ballfields for games. Hopefully, Canal Days Celebrations will feature an annual vintage base ball tournament. Long live the Little Falls Alerts!

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Vintage-Base-Ball-2021-Canal-Days-Celebration.jpg 1125 1500 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2021-08-24 11:32:292021-08-24 11:32:31A FAN’S NOTES ON THE RETURN OF VINTAGE BASE BALL TO LITTLE FALLS

    UPDATED HISTORICAL SOCIETY CANAL DAYS CELEBRATION EVENTS SCHEDULE

    August 9, 2021/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    The recent uptick in COVID-19 cases in Herkimer County has forced our board directors and officers to rethink our Canal Days Celebration calendar of events and museum operation. Foremost in our thinking is public safety. We regret any inconveniences that these adjustments may cause.

    The CHURCH STREET CEMETERY TOUR was scheduled for Friday August 13 at 6:00 PM. Due to concerns over crowd density and social distancing, the event has been cancelled. We have made provisions so that people can individually enjoy self-guided tours. You can either pick up a tour brochure from the sealed plastic container that has been placed on the visitor bench near the caretaker’s cabin inside the main Monroe Street entrance to the cemetery or download the cemetery tour from our website. The brochure’s thirty-five graves have all been marked in sequence by stakes with surveyor’s tape. The tour begins at gravesite #1 in the area behind the African American monument nearby the caretaker’s cabin.

    HISTORICAL MARKERS DEDICATION CEREMONIES  –  Twin dedication ceremonies for the Old Bank Building historic marker and the 1782 Gristmill Attack historic marker will begin at 10:30 AM at the base of the west ramp off Burke Bridge near the intersection of West Mill Street and the industrial park roadway. There will be no historic marker dedication ceremony outside the museum that had been scheduled for 10:00 AM.

    VINTAGE BASE BALL TOURNAMENT  –   Games for the three-team, round-robin tournament will be played at 10:30 AM, 1:00 PM and 3:30 PM on Field #3 behind the main field at Veterans’ Memorial Park. The Historical Society is the primary financial sponsor of the Little Falls Alerts, one of the three tournament teams.

    MUSEUM VISITATION APPOINTMENTS are not being accepted at this time. Please visit our website linked below.

    We urge all persons attending any of these events to follow CDC COVID-19 safety protocols regarding mask wearing and social distancing. 

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/IMG_6403.jpg 1200 1600 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2021-08-09 10:13:252021-08-09 10:32:00UPDATED HISTORICAL SOCIETY CANAL DAYS CELEBRATION EVENTS SCHEDULE
    Bushnell monument

    HISTORICAL SOCIETY CANCELLING CEMETERY WALKING TOUR AND HISTORIC MARKER DEDICATIONS

    August 2, 2021/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum
    Bushnell monument
    Bushnell monument

    Most Little Falls residents know who Nathaniel Benton, H.P. Snyder, and D.H. Burrell were, but who were Enoch Moore, Arphaxed Loomis, Titus Sheard, and Peewash and how did each of these individuals impact community history? What do gravestones with weeping angels, shrouded urns, and tree stumps represent? What interesting life stories are hidden away in Little Falls’ main cemetery?

    The self-guided walking tour is about one-half mile in length over generally grassy roadways and will last approximately 90 minutes. No restrooms are available. 

    HISTORICAL MARKERS DEDICATION CEREMONIES  –  Twin dedication ceremonies for the Old Bank Building historic marker and the 1782 Gristmill Attack historic marker will begin at 10:30 AM at the base of the west ramp off Burke Bridge near the intersection of West Mill Street and the industrial park roadway. There will be no historic marker dedication ceremony outside the museum that had been scheduled for 10:00 AM.

    Due to Covid-19 concerns, the Old Bank Building Museum is currently closed. View the updated press release here.

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Bushnell-monument.jpg 1142 867 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2021-08-02 08:12:562021-08-09 10:22:58HISTORICAL SOCIETY CANCELLING CEMETERY WALKING TOUR AND HISTORIC MARKER DEDICATIONS
    Little Falls Historical Society Museum | Little Falls NY

    LITTLE FALLS HISTORICAL SOCIETY TO ACCEPT MUSEUM VISIT APPOINTMENTS

    June 18, 2021/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    The Old Bank Building Museum has not been open to the public since Christmas in Little Falls in December 2019, a year and a half ago. Somehow it seems even longer ago than that. This is about to change.

    The museum has a number of new exhibits since 2019, most notably, the centennial exhibit celebrating women gaining the right to vote and the role played by local women in that quest. 

    The museum will be open by appointment only beginning on Monday July 5. The museum will not be open for walk-in visitations at this time.

    Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance and can be arranged by calling either Louie Baum at 315/867-3527 or Maryanne Terzi at 315/823-1502.  

    When calling to schedule an appointment, you will be asked a number of COVID-19 related questions. It is requested that only COVID-19 vaccinated persons call for appointments.

    Museum visits will be limited to three visitors plus two volunteer docents to conduct tours. Masks and social distancing protocols will be in place during visits.

    No public restrooms are available at the museum at this time.

    The officers and directors of the Little Falls Historical Society wish to thank our members and the general public for understanding the need for these restrictions and guidelines in the interest of protecting the health of visitors and museum volunteers alike. Hopefully, we can eventually operate with a less-restrictive visitation policy. 

    Our goal is to once again have a “full house” with various groups of visitors walking around this  community facility admiring the many Little Falls artifacts on display. 

    Little Falls and Women's Suffrage
    The centennial exhibit celebrating women gaining the right to vote and the role played by local women in that quest. 

    Please visit the Historical Society’s following social media sites: 

    Website:    http://k9n.167.mytemp.website/

    Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/littlefallsNYmuseum 

    Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/littlefallshistory/

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Little-Falls-NY-Mohawk-Valley-Today-7287.jpg 855 1200 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2021-06-18 13:58:442021-08-03 17:16:49LITTLE FALLS HISTORICAL SOCIETY TO ACCEPT MUSEUM VISIT APPOINTMENTS

    THIS DAY IN HISTORY

    February 1, 2021/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    Using a treasure trove at the Little Falls Historical Society Museum, Louie Baum toiled for months creating an over 200-page document to chronicle the historic past of Little Falls.

    Read more
    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Louie-at-the-Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.jpg 1200 899 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2021-02-01 15:56:192021-02-01 16:03:56THIS DAY IN HISTORY
    OLD BANK BUILDING REACHES A MILESTONE | Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    OLD BANK BUILDING REACHES A MILESTONE

    December 11, 2020/by Little Falls Historical Society Museum

    Photo submitted – National Herkimer County Bank and Presbyterian Church in the background – (Kinney Plaza) circa 1860.

    by Pat Frezza-Gressler, member of the Little Falls Historical Society

    Constructed of native stone in 1833 as the first bank in Herkimer County and placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1970, the Little Falls Historical Society’s Old Bank Building Museum has had a storied past. 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of this designation and it is time to celebrate this great building as the survivor that it is!

    The current generation of Old Bank Building Museum stewards stands on the shoulders of the small group of community visionaries who succeeded in their efforts to save the structure from the 1960’s urban renewal wrecking ball. Let’s begin by highlighting the chronology of important events related to this 1970 landmark designation.

    Little Falls’ 1961 Sesquicentennial Celebration served as the catalyst for a small group of “history buffs” to secure a central location where important community artifacts would be permanently housed, displayed, and made available for research purposes. This group first met officially on November 29, 1962, and what would become our Historical Society was launched. Their headquarters was the GAR room upstairs in City Hall. In 1963 the Historical Society was granted a permanent charter by NYS.

    By 1962, the Kennedy administration’s Urban Renewal program was in full swing; Little Falls received its first grant and demolition began on the south side of Main Street from Second Street eastward to William Street. A phase two grant was to be used to demolish the block of buildings between Ann and Second Streets, including the historic Old Bank Building. Historical Society president Dr. Fred Sabin first voiced the idea of saving the historic structure in 1965.

    Of critical importance was the 1966 National Historic Preservation Act signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson. Lady Bird Johnson headed the commission which developed a national inventory of properties and buildings central to American character and identity. A mechanism had been created to protect such properties. What seems like commonsense today, historic preservation was at that time a radical idea “standing in the way of progress.”

    The Little Falls Urban Renewal Agency purchased the building in 1966 and slated it for demolition as part of Phase 2.

    Using this law as a guiding principle, the early members of the Historical Society stood four-square against the demolition of the Old Bank Building which upset many others, including the then-current administration. Old Bank Building demolition would allow for a larger parking lot for the new Herkimer County Trust building. The preserved need for fourteen extra parking spaces was pitted against the preservation of an important piece of community history.

    This struggle played out for the next four years until the 1970 placement of the building on the NRHP; at that point, the structure was sacrosanct; some in the community were livid that a small group of “backward leaning preservationists” had stymied progress. Would anyone today trade the museum for those fourteen parking spaces?

    Photo submitted – National Herkimer County Bank – circa 1860.

    WHY WAS THE BUILDING IMPORTANT?

    To quote from a 1966 NYS Historic Trust newspaper article, “The old Herkimer County Bank Building, dating from 1833, is a work of the Greek Revival style, characteristic of the period. To discover a 130-year old bank is itself important, moreover, while much of the architecture of this period is constructed of wood, here we find a stone building with cut stone used in a monumental manner.”

    Current Historical Society member Elaine Sperbeck remembers her father Harold being on the phone with the National Historic Preservation Commission in Washington making the case for Registry inclusion for the Old Bank Building. Using the Commission’s three criteria, Sperbeck reasoned that the building was associated with events significant to local history, that the building was associated with persons significant in local history, and that the building does embody distinctive characteristics of a type and period of architecture and construction.

    The Old Bank Building met each of these criteria and on March 5, 1970, the structure was officially placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.

    Photo submitted – Portion of the poster used to generate community support for saving Old Bank Building.

    The Old Bank Building then sat in a sort of limbo and neglect from 1970 until 1977 when the Historical Society purchased the structure. Seven years of extensive restoration followed, and by 1985, Historical Society artifacts had been safely moved to the new museum.

    The building that had served as the first bank in Herkimer County, as the office of the local Red Cross, as a mortuary, as a temporary location for the Little Falls National Bank, as the Railway Express office, and as a storage area for Lovenheim’s dry goods store had become the primary repository of local history.

    On this 50th anniversary, current members of the Little Falls Historical Society wish to thank the following individuals for their courage and vision in saving and then renovating the Old Bank Building:

    Edward and Mary Louise Cooney, Natalie Derby, John Gallagher, John George, Mary Grace, Lydia Loucks, Robert McEvoy, Dr. Fred Sabin, Harold Sperbeck, and Ralph Van Horn.

    Apologies if anyone involved in this effort was not included in this listing. Additionally, it is important to extend thanks to all those individuals, past and present, who followed in the footsteps of the above visionaries by their involvement and stewardship of the museum.

    As Margaret Mead’s famous quote states: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

    Although the world certainly wasn’t changed, thanks to the efforts of the small group of committed citizens in saving the building from urban renewal, the Little Falls Historical Society remains an important community institution with plenty of parking nearby!

    https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/20201209_102656-scaled-1.jpg 640 1280 Little Falls Historical Society Museum http://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Little-Falls-Historical-Society-Museum.png Little Falls Historical Society Museum2020-12-11 10:18:002020-12-14 10:20:07OLD BANK BUILDING REACHES A MILESTONE
    Page 6 of 8«‹45678›»

    Explore our history

    • The Privy and the Pear Tree: Unearthing Little Falls History in Your Own BackyardJuly 15, 2026 - 2:42 pm
    • Francis Skinner Municipal PoolFrancis Skinner Municipal Pool
      More than 150 Donors Help Reopen Francis Skinner Municipal PoolJuly 1, 2026 - 5:00 pm
    • COMMITTEE OF FIVE PRESENTING THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE TO CONGRESS IN 1776.
      THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE 1776 – 2026June 26, 2026 - 8:01 am
    • Little Falls Historical Society Membership PicnicJune 5, 2026 - 1:51 pm
    • Charles P Colby
      A Capacity For AchievementMay 7, 2026 - 7:35 am
    • Fort Herkimer Church
      Patriots Day Event Saturday, May 16, at the Fort Herkimer ChurchMay 5, 2026 - 8:55 am

    Explore the history of the Mohawk Valley

    Visit MohawkValleyMuseums.us

    Museum Exhibits

    • Little Falls and Women's Suffrage
      Little Falls and Women’s Suffragein: Current Exhibits
    • Rockton Exhibit | Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls, NY
      Rockton Exhibitin: Current Exhibits
    • Camp Jolly Little Falls Historical Society Museum
      Camp Jolly Exhibitin: Current Exhibits
    • Prohibition Exhibit | Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls, NY
      Prohibition Exhibitin: Current Exhibits
    • Athletics Wing | Little Falls Historical Society | Little Falls, NY
      Athletics Wing Collectionin: Current Exhibits, Ongoing Exhibits
    • 1940 train wreck | Little Falls Historical Society Museum
      1940 Gulf Curve Train Wreckin: Ongoing Exhibits, Past Exhibits
    • Native American Exhibit | Little Falls Historical Society Museum | Little Falls NY
      Native American Exhibitin: Ongoing Exhibits
    • Little Falls Diamonds Exhibit | Little Falls Historical Society Museum | Little Falls NY
      Little Falls Diamonds Collectionin: Ongoing Exhibits
    • World War II Exhibit | Little Falls Historical Society Museum | Little Falls NY
      World War II and Korean Conflict Exhibitin: Past Exhibits
    • Little Falls Cheese Market | Little Falls Historical Society Museum | Little Falls NY
      First U.S. Cheese Market Exhibitin: Ongoing Exhibits
    • Myjava, Slovakia Exhibitin: Ongoing Exhibits
    • Little Falls Waterwaysin: Past Exhibits

    Explore events happening in the Mohawk Valley

    See what's happening on MohawkValley.Today

    OLD BANK BUILDING MUSEUM HOURS

    By appointment only after October 4, 2025 until May 2026.
    SPECIAL DATES:
    OPEN SATURDAY, OCTOBER 11, 9-2
    OPEN FOR CHRISTMAS IN LITTLE FALLS ON SATURDAY, DECEMBER 13TH

    Explore the history of the Mohawk Valley

    Visit MohawkValleyMuseums.us
    © Copyright Little Falls Historical Society Museum in New York. All rights reserved. Design by MohawkValley.today
    • Link to Facebook
    • Link to Instagram
    • Link to Mail
    • Home
    • Exhibits
    • Historical Tours
    • Making History Today
    • News
    • Membership
    • About
    • Annual Report
    • Our Sponsors
    Scroll to top Scroll to top Scroll to top