Little Falls Historical Society Museum Events
This day in history: August 19
1953
Chr. Hansen’s Laboratory celebrated the 75th anniversary of its founding at a banquet at the Mohawk Valley Country Club attended by 190 persons. Company chairman Johannes Hansen, accompanied by his wife, came over from Copenhagen, Denmark to deliver the principal address at the affair.
This day in history: August 20
1835
Colonel McKenster sold his hotel to Ezra C. Southworth and it will be called the Little Falls Hotel.
1867
The Rocktons and the Valley Club of Canajoharie played a very pleasant game of baseball on the Eastern Square in which our boys came off second best, the score standing 66 to 45.
1885
It was a red-letter day as the citizens of Little Falls gave a rousing, solid majority in favor of a water works to ensure a clean and healthy supply of clean water for the village. A pleasing feature of the election was the voting of the ladies who almost invariably voted on the right side for water. 864 electors voted for and 141 against the proposal.
1903
The multi-day “Grand Street Carnival” and “Old Home Week” celebration began today with a huge parade that drew unprecedented crowds to the city. Festivities included a carnival, band concerts featuring local and area bands, and special free exhibitions along city streets.
This day in history: August 21
1888
The Irish societies had their union field-day and outing at Burwell’s Grove with estimates of 2,500 to 3,000 attending. The quantities of food and refreshments required was tremendous, and were consumed in proportionate quantities. Athletic sports and exhibitions of strength, throwing of weights, jumping, baseball, foot races, and hurling were held throughout the day.
The Adam Forepaugh Wild West Combination show arrives in Little Falls, and will feature a wondrous sensational production of “Custer’s Last Stand or Battle of the Little Big Horn.” 200 mounted combatants, genuine savages, scouts, and soldiers including Sergeant Wagner, attack survivor, will be seen.
1916
A locally produced movie, “Man Haters,” was shown at Linton’s Hippodrome Theatre. Made in August 1915 the film featured locals Pauline Killmeier, Mrs. Ella Flood, Mel Nichols, Otto Wagner, and Chief James “Dusty” Long.
1931
The canal and river banks were lined with people, and the nearby streets were jammed with automobiles when Henry Ford’s big boat “Edgewater” came through Little Falls today. The modern steel vessel, 301 feet long and 40 feet wide, presented an imposing sight as it passed by Hansen’s Island
This day in history: August 22
1882
Barnum & London Shows rolled into Little Falls featuring “Jumbo” the massive elephant, 3 circuses in 3 rings, 2 enormous menageries, and the 7 largest shows on Earth. The shows were viewed in two huge tents.
1893
The steam launch, formerly called “Victor Adams,” was set afloat on the river off Moss Island under the new name of “The Hadley Jones.” The boat will seat twelve persons and will run between Moss Island and Five Mile dam, for pleasure parties.
1896
Local liquor dealers had one of the most jolly outings, enjoying a day of royal sport at their clambake at Camp Jolly. On a day of perfect weather, everyone sang, drank, danced, drank, ate, drank and entered heartily into the sports.
1911
Harry Atwood flew the first airplane, a Wright Biplane, over the Mohawk Valley, passing a little to the south of Little Falls, on his famous flight from St. Louis to New York City. The distance of 1265 miles was covered in 28 hours and 31 minutes.






A SAILOR AT HEART | THE LIFE STORY OF CHARLES P. BYRON
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumThe prelude to the life story of Charles P. Byron begins as one walks through the entrance of the Old St. Mary’s Cemetery.
THE GREAT BICYCLE RELAY RACE OF 1892
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumThe Great Bicycle Relay Race was published in The Saturday Globe. This article has been adapted and added to by Ann Eysaman Schuyler.
2023 Annual Report
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumView the 2022 Little Falls Historical Society Annual report Including membership, sponsors, online activities, writing series, and more.
LUNDSTROM BOOKCASE’S LONG JOURNEY HOME
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumLundstrom sectional barrister bookcases are often found in local law offices and private homes,holding sets of law books and personal libraries.
2024 HISTORICAL SOCIETY WRITING SERIES DEDICATED TO EDWIN VOGT
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumIn recent years, the Historical Society has dedicated its annual writing series to three teachers, Harold Templeman, Hector Allen, and Helen Dunteman, and to former city historian, and one of the Historical Society’s founding members, Edward Cooney. The Society’s 2024 writing series is being dedicated to Edwin Vogt.
Mysteries of the Bowie Knife by Ann Schuyler
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumI sat by the window on the night of September 29th watching the last of four Super Full Moons when random memories ran through my mind.
AN ELEPHANT NAMED BIMBO AND A FUNERAL by Darlene Smith
/by Little Falls Historical Society MuseumMost people usually don’t have an elephant attend a family member’s funeral, but then most other families didn’t have a grandfather who loved the circus the way Milo Smith did.