Written and narrated by Kaidin Phelan, Cooperstown Museum Studies Graduate Program, SUNY Oneonta, Researched in 2023.
Welcome to the Loomis-Burrell House, situated at 676 East Main Street.
Built in 1832 by Judge Arphaxed Loomis, this Federal style house features a low-pitched roof, smooth façade, and arches over the windows that are typical of this style. Although the house was renovated in 1874 to reflect the Italianate style, the original features still remain noticeable.
The nearby Harry Burrell house was constructed in 1853, and the two families became quite close. Eventually, Louisa Loomis, daughter of Judge Arphaxed Loomis, married Harry’s son, David Burrell. They had a son named Loomis Burrell, giving the house its current name. Loomis resided in the house until his passing in 1975, and his daughter continued to live there until her death in 2020, which marked the end of the Loomis-Burrell family’s 188-year ownership of the house.
Judge Arphaxed Loomis is a prominent figure in Little Falls history, playing a crucial role in breaking the foreign ownership of land in the area.
Prior to April 1831, the Ellice family from Scotland owned much of the valuable land along the Mohawk River in Little Falls and did not allow locals to purchase it. Instead, they rented out the land. Loomis, elected to the “highest village office” in April 1831, advocated for state legislation to break up the Ellice monopoly. This led to the purchase of the land from the Ellice family, which was then divided into lots and made available for purchase by local developers. Loomis remained a vital member of the Little Falls community, constructing numerous buildings and being an authority on land management laws while actively participating in civic matters. Without Judge Arphaxed Loomis, the face of Little Falls may have looked vastly different today.